Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cross Keys in Sussex County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Carey's Camp

 
 
Carey's Camp Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, October 20, 2011
1. Carey's Camp Marker
Inscription. By the late eighteenth century a Methodist Society had been organized in this area. In 1888, two years after the construction of Carey’s Church, the first official Carey’s Camp Meeting was held in the grove adjoining the church. These first meetings, known as bush or basket meetings, were held under temporary shelters made of boughs lashed together. The Camp now consists of a series of cottages or “tents” which circle an open frame structure called the tabernacle. Annual worship services are held here for two weeks during the summer. Carey’s Camp was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.
 
Erected 1994 by Delaware State Archives. (Marker Number SC 98.)
 
Location. 38° 33.504′ N, 75° 22.031′ W. Marker is in Cross Keys, Delaware, in Sussex County. Marker is on Carey Camp Road, on the left when traveling east. Click for map. Located between Cross Keys Road and Atkins Court. Marker is in this post office area: Millsboro DE 19966, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Carey's Camp (a few steps from this marker); Gumboro Hundred
Carey's Camp Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, October 20, 2011
2. Carey's Camp Marker
cottages or “tents” which circle an open frame structure called the tabernacle at center
(approx. 2.6 miles away); Godwin's School - District #190 (approx. 3.1 miles away); Bethany United Methodist Church (approx. 3.2 miles away); Westwoods Methodist Church (approx. 3.5 miles away); Hickory Hill Methodist Church (approx. 3.6 miles away); Jones Cemetery (approx. 4.3 miles away); Trinity Methodist Church (approx. 4.5 miles away).
 
Regarding Carey's Camp. National Register of Historic Places:
Carey's Camp Meeting Ground ** (added 1973 - - #73000557)
♦ Historic Significance: Event
♦ Area of Significance: Religion, Social History
♦ Period of Significance: 1875-1899
♦ Historic Function: Domestic, Religion
♦ Current Function: Domestic, Religion
Current Sub-function: Camp
 
Additional comments.
1. Carey's Camp
was established in 1888 as a Methodist camp meeting near Millsboro, Delaware. Traditionally occupied for two weeks in August for prayer and religious instruction, the camp is composed of 47 wood cabins (called "tents") in an oval around a tabernacle. As with many
Carey's Camp "tents" image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, October 20, 2011
3. Carey's Camp "tents"
such meeting grounds, the camp is located in a grove of oaks trees. The front-gabled cabins almost touch each other. Each cabin has a window in the gable and a porch on the front. The rear of the porch is entirely open to the interior of the house, so that the cabin's occupants could see and be seen from the center. An enclosed kitchen is in the back of the cabin. Sleeping rooms are located upstairs.

Tents are usually owned by families, although a few tents, such as the preacher's, are owned by the camp committee. A boarding tent with six sleeping rooms offers food, and a confectionery is located outside the circle. At the center of the circle is the tabernacle. Originally a long shed, two arms were added to make it cruciform in shape, with three arms used for seating while a fourth serves as a chancel. Hinged panels open to allow a view into the tabernacle from outside. Benches outside accommodate overflow. (Wikipedia entry)
    — Submitted October 24, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.

 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
Carey's Camp image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, October 20, 2011
4. Carey's Camp
Carey's Camp Marker (r), and Carey United Methodist Church, seen along Carey's Camp Road image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, October 20, 2011
5. Carey's Camp Marker (r), and Carey United Methodist Church, seen along Carey's Camp Road
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 360 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement