Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Eufaula in Barbour County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Central Railroad of Georgia Freight Depot

 
 
Central Railroad of Georgia Freight Depot Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 14, 2011
1. Central Railroad of Georgia Freight Depot Marker
Side 1
Inscription. The Southwestern Railroad of Georgia was the first rail line to connect with Eufaula when the railroad bridge between Georgetown, Georgia and Eufaula was completed in late 1865. In 1867 the Vicksburg & Brunswick Railroad Company was formed to build a line from Eufaula to Meridian, Mississippi. Vicksburg & Brunswick Railroad passenger and freight depot opened in 1872, and that same year, the line was leased by the Southwestern Railroad of Georgia. In 1879 the line was purchased by Central Railroad and Banking Company of Georgia. Due to the poor condition of the Vicksburg & Brunswick Railroad passenger and freight depot, Central Railroad of Georgia built a new passenger depot in 1889. Around the same time, Central of Georgia Freight Depot was completed just west of the passenger depot. The passenger depot remained in service until the early 1950s when it was razed. The freight depot was utilized by Central of Georgia Railroad until the late 1980s when it was abandoned.
(Continued on other side)

Side 2:
(Continued from other side)
The City of Eufaula acquired the Central of Georgia Railroad Freight Depot building in the 1980s with plans to rehabilitate it for use as a multi-purpose facility for the Eufaula Barbour County Chamber of Commerce, Eufaula Barbour County Tourism Council, Main Street
Central Railroad of Georgia Freight Depot Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 14, 2011
2. Central Railroad of Georgia Freight Depot Marker
Eufaula and the Barbour County Interpretative Center. Under the leadership of Mayor Jay Jaxon and former House Speaker James S. Clark, in cooperation with the Chamber and Eufaula Barbour County Historic Foundation, more than $1 million was raised for this project. Renovation began in 1999. The building was occupied by the Chamber on March 1, 2002 and named the James S. Clark Center on April 15, 2002. The former freight depot is included within the Seth Lore and Irwinton Historic District. The Center is the starting point for the Eufaula Rails to Trails program, which follows a portion of the old railroad bed in close proximity to Lake Eufaula and on to historic Old Creek Town Park.
 
Erected 2010 by Alabama Tourism Department and the City of Eufaula.
 
Location. 31° 53.583′ N, 85° 8.398′ W. Marker is in Eufaula, Alabama, in Barbour County. Marker is on East Broad Street east of North Livingston Avenue, in the median. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 333 East Broad Street, Eufaula AL 36027, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The City of Eufaula (within shouting distance of this marker); The Second Creek War in the Eufaula Area (within shouting distance of this marker); The Creek Town of Eufaula
Central Railroad of Georgia Freight Depot Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 14, 2011
3. Central Railroad of Georgia Freight Depot Marker
Side 1. The starting point for Eufaula's Rails to Trails, on the north side of East Broad Street, is visible in the picture.
(within shouting distance of this marker); The Town of Irwinton (within shouting distance of this marker); Cotton and Creek Country (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Chief Eufaula (Yoholo Micco) (about 600 feet away); World War I Doughboy (about 700 feet away); In Honor of All World War II Veterans (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Eufaula.
 
Categories. Railroads & Streetcars
 
Central Railroad of Georgia Freight Depot Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 14, 2011
4. Central Railroad of Georgia Freight Depot Marker
Side 2
Central Railroad of Georgia Freight Depot Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 14, 2011
5. Central Railroad of Georgia Freight Depot Marker
Side 2. The Depot is in the background.
Central Railroad of Georgia Freight Depot image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 14, 2011
6. Central Railroad of Georgia Freight Depot
Now the James S. Clark Center for the Eufaula Barbour County Chamber of Commerce, Eufaula Barbour County Tourism Council, Main Street Eufaula and the Barbour County Interpretative Center.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 929 times since then and 49 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on January 30, 2017.
Paid Advertisement