Harleyville vicinity in Dorchester County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
St. Paul Camp Ground
This Methodist camp ground, one of four in Dorchester County, was established in 1880. African-American freedmen in this area held services in a brush arbor at the "Old Prayer Ground" nearby as early as 1869. By 1873 they acquired two acres nearby and founded St. Paul A.M.E. Church, building their first permanant sanctuary just southwest.
In 1880 four community leaders purchased 113 acres here and deeded it to trustees for a new St. Paul Camp ground. "Tents," or rough-hewn cabins, form a circle around the "tabernacle," the open-sided shelter where services are held. This camp ground, in session the week ending the third Sunday in October, was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1998.
Erected 2011 by The Upper Dorchester County Historical Society. (Marker Number 18-16.)
Location. 33° 12.285′ N, 80° 28.938′ W. Marker is in Harleyville vicinity, South Carolina, in Dorchester County. Marker is on St. Paul Campground Road (loop) (South Carolina Route 18-734) near South Carolina Route 18-378, in the median. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 940 St. Paul Road, Dorchester SC 29437, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers Harleyville (approx. 2.1 miles away); South Carolina Canal & Rail Road Company (approx. 5.5 miles away); Dorchester (approx. 6.8 miles away); Moorefield Memorial Highway (approx. 7.5 miles away); Badham House / Dorchester Lumber Company (approx. 7.5 miles away); Shady Grove Camp Ground (approx. 8.2 miles away); Four Holes Swamp Bridge / Harley's Tavern (approx. 8.7 miles away); Four Holes Swamp (approx. 8.7 miles away).
Regarding St. Paul Camp Ground. National Register of Historic Places:
(St. Paul A.M.E. Zion Camp Ground) St. Paul Camp Ground is an excellent example of a Methodist camp meeting ground. It contains the buildings common to such properties in South Carolina: a tabernacle, tents, stores, and privies. However, this campground, believed to have been established ca. 1880, was organized by African-Americans belonging to St. Paul A.M.E. Church. The buildings and grounds are used for one week each year (at St. Paul, the week ending the third Sunday in October). The tabernacle is a one-story building clad in rough-sawn weatherboard, with a gable-on-hip roof of V-crimped metal. There are no windows; two entryways, without doors, are evenly spaced at each side. There are 54 tents, two stores, and a storage house on the numbered sites at St.
(South Carolina Department of Archives and History)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 634 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 5. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 6, 7. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.