Near Brandy Station in Culpeper County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The Hold at Mountain Run
Death of Farley and Wounding of Butler
This map prepared from the first hand account of Col. Butler, other historians, and the personal account of the family, who in the early 1950s cleared, leveled and ditched this bottom for cultivation, disturbing the soil for the first time since the Civil War. The shallow trench, part of an existing ditch, and the earthwork in front of the ford was leveled at this time. The bottomland flooded a few days after the clearing operation and when the water receded, with much erosion, there appeared many exposed bullets whose location told the story of what had happened here in 1863. More than 50 bullets have been found in front of and on the hillside behind the trench, also pieces of saber blade, broken bayonet and other iron not identified. A small number of bullets have been found near the stream edge at the crossing site. No background on the bottomland on this site of the stream, to stop stray bullets fired from the trench. Major Lipscomb (2nd SC Cav.) in his official report stated that the cannon never crossed Mountain Run. This would indicate that early in the day someone made the decision to create a defensive line using the barrier Mountain Run and would explain the time element needed to build the earthworks.
Who ordered the defense at Mountain Run?
Butler and Wickham didn't
Location. 38° 27.352′ N, 77° 54.027′ W. Marker is near Brandy Station, Virginia, in Culpeper County. Marker is on Stevensburg Road near County Route 663, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Located at a kiosk at a Culpeper County park on Stevensburg Road. Marker is in this post office area: Brandy Station VA 22714, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hansborough Ridge (here, next to this marker); Opening of the Wilderness Campaign (approx. one mile away); Salubria (approx. 1.2 miles away); Signal Stations (approx. 2.4 miles away); Opening of the Gettysburg Campaign (approx. 2.9 miles away); Betty Washington (approx. 3.1 miles away); In Memory of Major John Pelham (approx. 3.3 miles away); The 1863-64 Winter Encampment (approx. 3.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Brandy Station.
More about this marker. The marker displays a map of the area, as described in the text, and a portrait of Farley.
Regarding The Hold at Mountain Run. This is one of several markers interpreting the Battle of Brandy Station and the winter encampments of 1863-64 in Culpeper County. See the Battle of Brandy Station Virtual Tour by Markers linked below for additional related markers.
Also see . . .
1. Battle of Brandy Station. National Park Service summary of the battle, including a driving tour.
2. Battle of Brandy Station Virtual Tour by Markers. A set markers that document the Battle of Brandy Station, June 9, 1863, and the Winter Encampment of 1863-64. Note the order of appearance is geographic and not chronologically aligned to the battle.
1. William Downs Farley
Farley enlisted early in the war with the 1st South Carolina Cavalry. Commissioned as an officer, he would fight at 1st Manassas. Later he was captured, and as terms of his exchange could not serve as an officer again. Flaunting this restriction, Farley took up service as a scout working directly for Gen. J.E.B. Stuart, as a civilian without pay. Farley became a dependable scout, and to a degree, adviser to Stuart, serving on Stuart's famous ride around McClellan in the 1862 Peninsula Campaign. Here at Brandy Station, Stuart entrusted Farley, technically not in uniform, with the command of a detachment from the 4th Virginia Cavalry and a cannon dispatched to reinforce Col. Matthew C. Butler's 2nd South Carolina Cavalry.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on January 21, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,179 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on January 21, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.