Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cuthbert in Randolph County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Randolph County's First “College for Females”

1852 - 1907

 
 
Randolph County's First “College for Females” Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 15, 2011
1. Randolph County's First “College for Females” Marker
Inscription. The Baptist Bethel Association, meeting in Benevolence in 1851, resolved to undertake “The Creation of an Educational Institution for Females, to be called THE BAPTIST FEMALE COLLEGE OF SOUTHWESTERN GEORGIA.” This site, in the little village of Villa Nova, was chosen for its location. Rev. Thos. Muse served two years as Agent, raising funds, promoting plans, shaping policies. A handsome, colonnaded building was erected here and Rev. A. T. Holmes made first President. School opened in the Fall of 1852. The first Trustees were Jesse H. Campbell, James Clark, Francis Seig, William Janes, Ebenezer Warren, Roger Dickinson, John Wilson, William Wade, Joel Perry, Thomas Muse, William L. Crawford, Richard Thornton, John Fletcher, David Vason, Jesse Stallings. Closed by war, 1863, it served as the Hill Hospital of the Confederacy (1864-65). In 1880’s as a branch of Georgia’s University system, it became The Bethel Agricultural and Military College. Destroyed by fire in 1901, this property was sold, another site bought and a new building erected. In 1907, Bethel Association sold that second property to the City of Cuthbert for operation of Cuthbert’s first Public School.
 
Erected 1958 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 120-12.)
 
Marker series.
Randolph County's First “College for Females” Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 15, 2011
2. Randolph County's First “College for Females” Marker
This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 31° 46.564′ N, 84° 48.114′ W. Marker is in Cuthbert, Georgia, in Randolph County. Marker is on Villa Nova Street 0 miles north of Randolph Street, on the left when traveling north. Click for map. The marker is in the 400 block of Villa Nova Street. Marker is in this post office area: Cuthbert GA 39840, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Andrew College (approx. half a mile away); Mother of Georgia's Pecan Industry (approx. 0.7 miles away); Confederate Dead and Hospitals (approx. 0.7 miles away); Old Carnegie Library (approx. 0.7 miles away); Frederick Davis Patterson, M.D. / Patterson Hospital (approx. ¾ mile away); Shady Grove (approx. 0.8 miles away); Randolph County (approx. 0.8 miles away); Site of First Randolph County Courthouse (approx. 0.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Cuthbert.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.EducationWar, US Civil
 
Randolph County's First “College for Females” Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 15, 2011
3. Randolph County's First “College for Females” Marker
Looking south in the 400 block of Villa Nova Street toward College Street (US Highway 82)
Randolph County's First “College for Females” Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 15, 2011
4. Randolph County's First “College for Females” Marker
Looking north in the 400 nlock of Villa Nova Street
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 327 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement