Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Thorp in Clark County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

St. Hedwig's / Poznan Colony

 
 
St. Hedwig's Marker image. Click for full size.
By K. Linzmeier, October 22, 2011
1. St. Hedwig's Marker
[north side of marker]
Inscription.
St. Hedwig's
In 1891, a wooden church was built and named St. Hedwig's for a queen of Poland. In 1904, the present-day structure was built and accommodated the growing congregation with seating for 700 people. Members of the congregation furnished labor and contributed artistic talent. Some families took out second mortgages on their farms to help pay for the cost of the new building.

Poznan Colony
As the lumber industry waned in the late 1880s, Polish land agents hoped to entice immigrant farmers to purchase the "fertile farmland" of the cutover area. Around 1889, Polish immigrants from the west central region of Poznan settled the area east of Thorp. The community also built Poznan School, a two-room public school.

Erected 2011
Wisconsin Historical Society

 
Erected 2011 by the Wisconsin Historical Society. (Marker Number 537.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Wisconsin Historical Society marker series.
 
Location. 44° 57.671′ N, 90° 45.637′ W. Marker is near Thorp, Wisconsin, in Clark County. Marker is on Gorman Avenue 0.1 miles north of County Highway
Poznan Colony Marker image. Click for full size.
By K. Linzmeier, October 22, 2011
2. Poznan Colony Marker
[south side of marker]
X, on the left when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: N14921 Gorman Avenue, Thorp WI 54771, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 16 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Liberty Tree Memorial (approx. 1.9 miles away); The Worden Church of the Brethren (approx. 8.1 miles away); D.R. Moon Memorial Library (approx. 8.6 miles away); The Yellowstone Trail (approx. 8.6 miles away); Veteran's Memorial (approx. 8.6 miles away); M-1900 Seacoast Ordnance (approx. 8.7 miles away); Mormon Settlements (approx. 15.6 miles away).
 
Also see . . .
1. St. Hedwig's Catholic Church. Photos. (Submitted on October 26, 2011.) 

2. Polish American. (Submitted on October 26, 2011.)
3. St. Hedwig. (Submitted on October 26, 2011.)
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Settlements & Settlers
 
St. Hedwig's / Poznan Colony Marker image. Click for full size.
By K. Linzmeier, October 22, 2011
3. St. Hedwig's / Poznan Colony Marker
St. Hedwig's / Poznan Colony Marker image. Click for full size.
By K. Linzmeier, October 22, 2011
4. St. Hedwig's / Poznan Colony Marker
Bell Tower and Commemorative Tablet
St. Hedwig's / Poznan Colony Marker image. Click for full size.
By K. Linzmeier, October 22, 2011
5. St. Hedwig's / Poznan Colony Marker
Gorman Avenue
St. Hedwig's Church image. Click for full size.
By K. Linzmeier, October 22, 2011
6. St. Hedwig's Church
St. Hedwig's Church image. Click for full size.
By K. Linzmeier, October 22, 2011
7. St. Hedwig's Church
The church is no longer in use.
Commemorative Tablet image. Click for full size.
By K. Linzmeier, October 22, 2011
8. Commemorative Tablet
[east side]
In days past these bells, once a familiar part of daily life, resounded with clarity throughout the countryside summoning to prayer our faithful ancestors who through innumerable sacrifices brought them to this holy site. The bells will continue to bear witness as a silent testimonial enshrining all that which was, which is, and which will continue to take place on this hallowed ground. Immeasurable gratitude is acknowledged to the triune God, St. Hedwig, our patroness, and to all those who helped to achieve this lasting tribute.
Commemorative Tablet image. Click for full size.
By K. Linzmeier, October 22, 2011
9. Commemorative Tablet
[west side]
Sept. 27, 1891 Wooden Catholic church consecrated to St. Hedwig Nov. 27, 1904 Cornerstone laid for new brick church Nov. 13, 1907 Church completed Dec. 8, 1907 First mass offered Dec. 10, 1914 Bells blessed June 6, 1970 Last mass offered Sept. 6, 1993 Bell tower dedicated Aug. 28, 1994 Dedication of commemorative marker
Kościoł Sw. Jadwigi 1904
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 733 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on , by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement