Deerfield in Franklin County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
1630 - 1930
Erected 1930 by Massachusetts Bay Colony-Tercentenary Commission.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Massachusetts Bay Colony—Tercentenary Commission Markers marker series.
Location. 42° 32.51′ N, 72° 36.326′ W. Marker is in Deerfield, Massachusetts, in Franklin County. Marker is on Old Main Street near Wells Street, on the left when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Deerfield MA 01342, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Old Deerfield (approx. 0.8 miles away); Town of Greenfield (approx. 3.2 miles away); Leavitt-Hovey House 1797 (approx. 3.2 miles away); Bloody Brook Monument (approx. 4.1 miles away); Bloody Brook Stone Slab (approx. 4.1 miles away); Capt. William Turner (approx. 4.4 miles away); Waterfowl Migration (approx. 5.3 miles away); Songbirds (approx. 5.3 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. Raid On Deerfield: The Many Stories of 1704. Pocumtuck Valley Memorial Association (PVMA) / Memorial Hall Museum web site (Submitted on October 1, 2009.)
2. Historic Deerfield. A museum of New England history and art, provides information on collections, area descendants, and tours. (Submitted on November 17, 2009, by Russell Chaffee Bixby of Bernardston, Massachusetts.)
3. Historical markers erected by Massachusetts Bay Colony. Original 1930 publication by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts of Tercentenary Commission Markers, commemorating the three hundredth anniversary of the Massachusetts Bay Colony. (Submitted on November 17, 2009, by Russell Chaffee Bixby of Bernardston, Massachusetts.)
1. Second Old Deerfield Marker
The above reference source (Historical markers erected by Massachusetts Bay Colony (1930)) indicates that marker is located on "Route 5 near southern entrance to 0ld Deerfield," but actually it can be found on Main Street of Old Deerfield Village in front of the Dwight House, just off Route 5.
A second marker is located at the north entrance of Old Deerfield on Route 5, as indicated in Historical markers erected by Massachusetts Bay Colony. Either the original
A complete 1930 catalog of Historical Markers Erected by Massachusetts Bay Colony Tercentenary Commission is available from the link above.
— Submitted November 16, 2009, by Russell Chaffee Bixby of Bernardston, Massachusetts.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Ronald G. Heroux of White River Junction, Vermont. This page has been viewed 1,848 times since then and 4 times this year. Last updated on , by Russell Chaffee Bixby of Bernardston, Massachusetts. Photos: 1. submitted on , by Russell Chaffee Bixby of Bernardston, Massachusetts. 2. submitted on , by Ronald G. Heroux of White River Junction, Vermont. 3. submitted on , by Russell Chaffee Bixby of Bernardston, Massachusetts. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.