Princeton in Worcester County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
1630 - 1930
Erected 1930 by Massachusetts Bay Colony-Tercentenary Commission.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Massachusetts Bay Colony—Tercentenary Commission Markers marker series.
Location. 42° 30.399′ N, 71° 52.171′ W. Marker is in Princeton, Massachusetts, in Worcester County. Marker is on Worcester Road (Massachusetts Route 140), on the left when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Princeton MA 01541, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of Mary Rowlandson’s Release (within shouting distance of this marker); Fitchburg Civil War Memorial (approx. 6.4 miles away); "Mary Had a Little Lamb" (approx. 7.3 miles away); Birthplace of Johnny Appleseed (approx. 7.4 miles away); Mary Sawyer’s Birthplace (approx. 8.5 miles away); Lancaster (approx. 8.9 miles away); Rowlandson Rock (approx. 9.6 miles away); a different marker also named Rowlandson Rock (approx. 10.3 miles away).
Regarding Redemption Rock. Mary Rowlandson (c. 1637-1711) had been captured with her three children on February 10, 1676, by a coalition of the Nipmucs, Narragansetts, and Wampanoags during King Philip’s War. In an ordeal lasting almost 12 weeks she escaped torture and/or death by knitting shirts, socks, caps, and similar garments in return for food.
Also see . . .
1. More information. Includes additional links about Mary Rowlandson and her book. (Submitted on June 25, 2010, by Roger W. Sinnott of Chelmsford, Massachusetts.)
2. Original 1930 publication by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts of Tercentenary Commission Markers. Original 1930 publication by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts of Tercentenary Commission Markers, commemorating the three hundredth anniversary of the Massachusetts Bay Colony. (Submitted on May 21, 2011, by Russell Chaffee Bixby of Bernardston, Massachusetts.)
3. Princeton Historical Society. The Princeton Historical Society was organized in 1937 for the purpose of encouraging antiquarian research and historical study. The Society presents a number of programs throughout the year concerning local history. (Submitted on October 15, 2011, by Russell Chaffee Bixby of Bernardston, Massachusetts.)
Categories. • Colonial Era •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Roger W. Sinnott of Chelmsford, Massachusetts. This page has been viewed 1,232 times since then and 67 times this year. Last updated on , by Russell Chaffee Bixby of Bernardston, Massachusetts. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Roger W. Sinnott of Chelmsford, Massachusetts. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.