Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lewes in Sussex County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Ryves Holt House

Oldest Building Standing in State of Delaware

 
 
Ryves Holt House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, October 18, 2011
1. Ryves Holt House Marker
Inscription.
In this house lived
Ryves Holt
Chief Justice
of “Three Lower Counties On Delaware,” 1745 to 1763
Member of Assembly
of “Three Lower Counties On Delaware,”
1734-1737, 1742-1744, 1746-1755,
And Speaker of Assembly
1742-1744, and 1746-1752.
Ryves Holt was probably born in 1696
and died in 1763.


(Center Plaque)

Ryves Holt House
Built 1665
Oldest Building
Standing in
State of Delaware.
Listed on National
Register 1977.
Placed by
Delaware State Society
Colonial Dames XVII Century
October 2, 1990


Coat of Arms
Placed here by the
Colonial David Hall Chapter
Daughters of the American Revolution
26

 
Erected 1932 by Historic Marker Commission.
 
Location. 38° 46.552′ N, 75° 8.465′ W. Marker is in Lewes, Delaware, in Sussex County. Marker is on Second Street near Mulberry Sreet, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 218 Second Street, Lewes DE 19958, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance
Ryves Holt House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, October 18, 2011
2. Ryves Holt House Marker
of this marker. John Penrose Virden (a few steps from this marker); Old Court House (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Peter's Episcopal Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Bethel Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Lewes (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The New Devon Inn (about 300 feet away); Dodds Corner (about 400 feet away); The Explorations of Giovanni da Verrazzano (about 500 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Lewes.
 
Regarding Ryves Holt House. The Coat of Arms that the City of Lewes uses on its police cruisers and on City Hall is actually from Lewes, East Sussex, England. It’s origins date back to the Norman Conquest a thousand years ago. The gold and blue checkers are the arms of the de Warenne family who held the Barony of Lewes from the time of the Norman Conquest until 1347, when the last de Warenne died.
A nephew, Richard Fitz Alan, Earl of Arundel, succeeded to the barony and added the gold lion on the red ground. The introduction of the silver crosslets has never been satisfactorily explained
they will probably remain a subject for speculation.
 
Also see . . .  Ryves Holt House:Delaware’s Oldest. Holt purchased the property in 1723, two years after arriving
Ryves Holt House Colonial Dames National Register Plaque image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, October 18, 2011
3. Ryves Holt House Colonial Dames National Register Plaque
in Lewes to accept the appointment of Naval Officer of Port Lewes (Submitted on October 28, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.) 
 
Categories. Colonial EraSettlements & Settlers
 
Ryves Holt House and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, October 18, 2011
4. Ryves Holt House and Marker
Ryves Holt House image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, October 18, 2011
5. Ryves Holt House
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 400 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.   3. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.   4, 5. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement