Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lost City in Hardy County, West Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Lost Riverís First Church

 
 
Lost Riverís First Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, October 22, 2011
1. Lost Riverís First Church Marker
Inscription. 300 yards east is the first Lost River Valley Church. Built of logs, prior to 1797, on land deeded by Anthony Miller, 1831, to the Baptists and Presbyterians “to hold in common for a meetinghouse and graveyard.”
 
Erected 1963 by West Virginia Historic Commission.
 
Location. 38° 55.778′ N, 78° 50.077′ W. Marker is in Lost City, West Virginia, in Hardy County. Marker is at the intersection of West Virginia Route 259 and Lower Cove Road (Route 59), on the right when traveling south on State Route 259. Click for map. It is within sight of the post office. Marker is in this post office area: Lost City WV 26810, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. James Ward Wood (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Woodlawn (approx. 1.2 miles away); Lost River (approx. 2.2 miles away); Howard's Lick/Jackson Home (approx. 3.8 miles away); Mill Island (approx. 10.1 miles away); Oriskany Sand (approx. 10.5 miles away); Cemetery Hill (approx. 11.5 miles away); Maslin House (approx. 11.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Lost City.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
Lost Riverís First Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, October 22, 2011
2. Lost Riverís First Church Marker
The current Valley Baptist Church is the background.
Lost Riverís First Church image. Click for full size.
By Forest McDermott, November 13, 2011
3. Lost Riverís First Church
Photo of a painting of the Lost River's First Church. Painting hangs on the wall at the Ivanhoe Presbyterian Church in Lost City, WV and was painted in 1979. The original church was across the road from the Ivanhoe church and was torn down about 20 years ago.
Ivanhoe Presbyterian Church image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, October 22, 2011
4. Ivanhoe Presbyterian Church
Located next to the Baptist church on Lower Cove Road. Both current churches are directly across Lower Cove Road from the site of the original shared church.
United States Post Office, Lost City, West Virginia image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, October 22, 2011
5. United States Post Office, Lost City, West Virginia
The green outhouse is padlocked when the Post Office is closed.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 393 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.   3. submitted on , by Forest McDermott of Masontown, Pennsylvania.   4, 5. submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement