Mentor in Lake County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
This small building buzzed with activity during the 1880 presidential campaign. Garfield changed this library into the headquarters for his political supporters and a meeting room for the press who covered the election campaign that summer and fall.
With telegraph wire strung to it, the "Campaign Office" also served as Garfield's communication center. Here, on November 2, 1880, James A. Garfield received the telegraph message that he had been chosen President in one of the closest races in United States history.
Erected by National Park Service.
Location. 41° 39.849′ N, 81° 21.049′ W. Marker is in Mentor, Ohio, in Lake County. Click for map. Marker is on the grounds of James A. Garfield National Historic Site. Marker is at or near this postal address: 8095 Mentor Avenue, Mentor OH 44060, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Expanding the House (within shouting distance of this marker); Front Porch Campaign (within shouting distance of this marker); Windmill (within shouting distance of this marker); Carriage House (within shouting distance of this marker); Gasholder Building James A. Garfield's "Lawnfield" (about 400 feet away); Lawnfield (about 400 feet away); James A. Garfield and the Civil War (about 400 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Mentor.
Also see . . . James A. Garfield National Historic Site. (Submitted on October 31, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
Categories. • Communications • Politics •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page has been viewed 242 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.