Old Victoria Custom House
Ancien Édiﬁce de la Douane de Victoria
Completed in 1875 in the Second Empire style, Victoria’s original Custom House is a distinguished example of the buildings erected by the new Federal Government after Confederation. It regulated the trade of the West Coast’s busiest port and symbolized the pre-eminence of Victoria as a commercial centre in the late 19th century. Goldseekers from around the world converged on its steps to obtain miners’ licences before embarking for the Klondike in 1898. This elegant structure recalls efforts to establish a federal presence across Canada through the construction of impressive public buildings.
Complété en 1875 dans le style Second Empire, ce ancien édifice de la douane est un exemple remarquable du genre de bâtiment qu’érgeait le nouveau gouvernement fédéral après la Confédération. Il servait à réglementer les activités du port le plus fréquenté de la côte ouest et reflétait l’importance commerciale de Victoria à la fin du XIXe siècle. En 1898, les chercheurs d’or y affluèrent pour obtenir des permis d’extraction minière avant de partir pour le Klondike. Cet élégant immeuble évoque les efforts déployés par le gouvernement pour assurer sa présence à travers le pays au moyen d’édifices publics imposants.
Erected 2000 by Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada/Commission
Location. 48° 25.465′ N, 123° 22.188′ W. Marker is in Victoria, British Columbia, in Capital Regional District. Marker is at the intersection of Wharf Street and Broughton Street on Wharf Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1002 Wharf Street, Victoria, British Columbia V8W, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The 75th Anniversary of the Canadian Navy (a few steps from this marker); Fort Victoria (within shouting distance of this marker); The Birthplace of Victoria (within shouting distance of this marker); Vancouver Island Wallmap Mural (about 120 meters away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Fort Victoria (about 120 meters away); Windsor Hotel (about 120 meters away); The “Veteran Sailor” (about 120 meters away); 100th Anniversary of the Canadian Navy (about 150 meters away). Click for a list of all markers in Victoria.
Also see . . . Customs House. HistoricPlaces.ca's webpage for the Customs House. From the heritage value statement for the structure:"...This building is significant as one of few remaining works constructed under the tenure of T.S. Scott, Canada's first Chief Architect of Public Works. Customs House (Submitted on November 4, 2011, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.)
Categories. • Government •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 497 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.