The Signing Post
Bastion Square became a different kind of gathering place during The Fraser River Gold Rush of 1858 when over 25,000 people began to arrive in Fort Victoria to buy supplies. Soon the fort was demolished and stores, hotels and saloons were opened for the gold miners. A new court, jail and law offices were also built in Bastion Square.
Today, Bastion Square in the heart of Victoriaís Old Town National Historic Site and hosts the Maritime Museum as well as shops, offices, restaurants, bars and cafes.
Location. 48° 25.559′ N, 123° 22.181′ W. Marker is in Victoria, British Columbia, in Capital Regional District. Marker can be reached from Wharf Street. Click for map. This marker is near
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Amor De Cosmos, 1825-1897 (a few steps from this marker); Mizzen Mast – H.M.S. Algerine (a few steps from this marker); Boomerang Court and Chancery Lane (within shouting distance of this marker); Former Victoria Law Courts (within shouting distance of this marker); Sir Matthew Baillie Begbie (within shouting distance of this marker); The Bell Tower (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Leiser Building (about 90 meters away); Waddington Alley (about 120 meters away). Click for a list of all markers in Victoria.
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 463 times since then and 74 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.