Initially, “a number of cheap shops” were erected which, by 1863, included a fishmarket, a bakery, a blacksmith, a bowling saloon, the Sacramento Restaurant and the Pioneer Wholesale and Retail Variety Store.
Alfred Waddington retained private ownership of the alley until his death of smallpox in 1872. Both before and after his death the paving of the alley was of public concern. In 1866 dangerous potholes covered with iron plates were evident and in 1878 complaints referred to the sidewalk being in a sad state of repair.
Finally in 1908 a pavement of creosoted wood (Douglas fir) blocks was laid in the alley, along with a sidewalk incorporating a metal carriage curb at a total cost of just under $1000.
In 1992, the alley was restored by the City of Victoria with the assistance of the Victoria Hoo Hoo Club, the Cowichan Valley Hoo Hoo Club, the British Columbia Forest Museum Society and the British Columbia Heritage Trust.
Alfred Waddington, (1801-1872)
Location. 48° 25.616′ N, 123° 22.177′ W. Marker is in Victoria, British Columbia,
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Leiser Building (here, next to this marker); S.J. Pitts, Importer (a few steps from this marker); Thomas Earle Warehouse (a few steps from this marker); The Oriental Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); Victoria, B.C. (within shouting distance of this marker); Shop/Warehouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Amor De Cosmos, 1825-1897 (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Mizzen Mast – H.M.S. Algerine (about 90 meters away). Click for a list of all markers in Victoria.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 477 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.