Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
St. Francis in Clay County, Arkansas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Chalk Bluff Crossing and Town

 
 
Chalk Bluff Crossing and Town Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, March 14, 2009
1. Chalk Bluff Crossing and Town Marker
Inscription. Since Crowley's Ridge provided the only natural route for north-south travel across the lowlands of northeastern Arkansas, an Indian trail and later a military road crossed the river here. About 1840 Abraham Seitz established a ferry which was later operated by Timothy Dalton. The town which grew up near the crossing faded away after 1882 when the railroad bridged the river downstream at the new town of St. Francis.
 
Erected 1973 by Arkansas History Commission - Clay County Centennial Year.
 
Location. 36° 28.75′ N, 90° 9.744′ W. Marker is in St. Francis, Arkansas, in Clay County. Marker can be reached from County Road 347. Click for map. Located at the start of a walking trail in Chalk Bluff Battlefield Park. Marker is in this post office area: Piggott AR 72454, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Chalk Bluff in the Civil War (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Chalk Bluff in the Civil War (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named Chalk Bluff in the Civil War (about 400 feet away); Chalk Bluff (about 400 feet away); The Battle at Chalk Bluff (approx. 0.6 miles away in Missouri).
 
Also see . . .
Chalk Bluff Crossing and Town Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, circa 1998
2. Chalk Bluff Crossing and Town Marker
An earlier version of the marker was mounted on a single pole.
 Chalk Bluff Civil War Battlefield. More recent photos of the park and the markers. (Submitted on January 23, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. Railroads & StreetcarsRoads & VehiclesSettlements & Settlers
 
Chalk Bluff Crossing and Town Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, March 14, 2009
3. Chalk Bluff Crossing and Town Marker
Ferry Crossing Site image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain
4. Ferry Crossing Site
The town of Chalk Bluff is nothing more than a place name today, but during the 19th century it was an important local crossing point over the St. Francis River. The far side of the river here is Dunklin County, Missouri. Later in May 1863, Confederates were forced to cross the river by way of a rudimentary floating bridge.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,617 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.   2. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.   3. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.   4. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo of the railroad bridge. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement