Madison in Morgan County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Freedom of Assembly
In the 1880-90s, fraternal and social orders extended the black social sphere to this corner of W. Washington Street. The Brothers & Sisters of Love & Charity, a mutual aid society offering life/employment insurance, built their Society Hall. The adjacent Odd Fellows Hall, also two-story, had lower stores that were occupied at times by a grocery, harness shop, carpenter, barber, and multiple restaurants. These businesses, as well as the nearby blacksmith, served as a commercial hub.
A 1904 brick replacement (post-fire) was later sold in halves. The Madison Colored Undertaking Company (later Mapp Funeral Home) anchored the west end, and the east end housed a myriad of black-owned enterprises, most notably the Brown Stock Co. and Morgan County NAACP offices.
Erected 2011 by City of Madison, Madison BiCentennial Commission 1809-2009.
Location. 33° 35.783′ N, 83° 28.15′ W. Marker is in Madison Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Madison GA 30650, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Reconstruction Property Rights (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Town Park (about 300 feet away); Industrial Corridor (about 300 feet away); Railroad Street Commerce (about 300 feet away); Madison (about 400 feet away); Lodging Establishments (about 500 feet away); The Town Spring (about 500 feet away); The Town Square (about 600 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Madison.
Categories. • African Americans • Churches, Etc. • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 459 times since then and 57 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.