Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Chippawa in Niagara Region, Ontario — Central Canada
 

Fort Chippawa 1791

 
 
Fort Chippawa 1791 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, July 28, 2011
1. Fort Chippawa 1791 Marker
Inscription. The fortifications which stood on this site were built in 1791 to protect the southern terminus of the Niagara portage road, and serve as a forwarding depot for government supplies. Known also as Fort Welland, the main structure consisted of a log blockhouse surrounded by a stockade. During the War of 1812 several bloody engagements were fought in this vicinity including the bitterly contested Battle of Chippawa, July 5, 1814, and possession of the fort frequently changed hands. A barracks, storehouse, officers' quarters and earthworks were added in 1814-15, but shortly thereafter Fort Chippawa was abandoned and fell into decay.
 
Erected by Ontario Archaeological and Historic Sites Board.
 
Location. 43° 3.773′ N, 79° 3.021′ W. Marker is near Chippawa, Ontario, in Niagara Region. Marker is at the intersection of Niagara Parkway and Macklem Street, on the right when traveling north on Niagara Parkway. Click for map. This historical marker is located on the Canadian side of the Niagara River, in a community park on the northern side of the mouth of the Welland River. The historical marker is situated near the front parking lot for King's Bridge Park. Marker is in this post office area: Chippawa, Ontario L2G 6C7, Canada.
 
Other nearby markers. At least
Fort Chippawa 1791 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, July 28, 2011
2. Fort Chippawa 1791 Marker
View of featured historical marker on the right and of the adjacent historical marker, "Raid on Fort Schlosser 1813," situated between the edge of the parking lot and the north bank of the Welland River.
8 other markers are within 3 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Raid on Fort Schlosser 1813 (here, next to this marker); The Founding of Chippawa (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Church of the Holy Trinity (approx. 0.6 kilometers away); Bridgewater Mills (approx. 1.5 kilometers away); Old Stone Chimney (approx. 1.8 kilometers away in the U.S.); The Niagara River Portage and the Old Stone Chimney (approx. 1.8 kilometers away in the U.S.); Stranded Scow (approx. 2 kilometers away); The Niagara Portage (approx. 2 kilometers away in the U.S.). Click for a list of all markers in Chippawa.
 
Categories. Colonial EraForts, CastlesWar of 1812
 
Fort Chippawa 1791 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, July 28, 2011
3. Fort Chippawa 1791 Marker
View looking east, towards the Niagara River, of the featured historical marker, situated on the edge of the parking lot for King's Bridge Park.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 460 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement