Madison in Morgan County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Town Commons
In the 1810-20s, a portion of the southwest commons (now framed by W. Central Ave., Old Post Rd., and Walton St.) was actively used: by private individuals as a racetrack; as a pasture and a woodlot; and as a muster ground for the local 29th Regiment of the Georgia Militia. The commons shrank as Madison developed: lots were sold along Old Post Rd. for funds to rebuild the Madison Male Academy; one-acre lots along Porter Street were offered to early congregations; and the remainder subdivided in 1837 for residential lots. These large, roughly ½-city block lots, were mostly developed for spacious homes with their small dependencies, amidst landscapes combining pleasure and utility in formal gardens, vegetable gardens, orchards, pastures, and later pecan groves.
Erected 2011 by City of Madison, Madison BiCentennial Commission 1809-2009.
Location. 33° Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Madison GA 30650, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Joshua Hill Home (within shouting distance of this marker); Advanced Education Center (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Stoneman Raid (about 500 feet away); The March to the Sea (about 500 feet away); Formal Southern Landscapes (about 600 feet away); Foundation to Consolidation (about 700 feet away); Early Religious Life (about 800 feet away); Freedmen's Schooling (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Madison.
Categories. • Political Subdivisions •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 308 times since then and 97 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.