“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Goodnight in Armstrong County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)

Site of Old Goodnight Ranch

Site of Old Goodnight Ranch Marker image. Click for full size.
By Timothy McDaniel, November 5, 2011
1. Site of Old Goodnight Ranch Marker
First ranch in the Texas panhandle
Established in 1876 by
Charles Goodnight
1836- 1929
Noted scout, Indian fighter, trail blazer
and rancher
The Burbank of the range

Erected 1936 by State of Texas. (Marker Number 4850.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments marker series.
Location. 35° 1.823′ N, 101° 10.962′ W. Marker is in Goodnight, Texas, in Armstrong County. Marker is at the intersection of County Road 25 and U.S. 287, on the right when traveling south on County Road 25. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Clarendon TX 79226, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Charles Goodnight (approx. 0.2 miles away); Armstrong County (approx. 11.4 miles away); Dr. and Mrs. Wm. A. Warner (approx. 11.4 miles away); Route of Coronado Expedition (approx. 11.4 miles away); Town of Claude (approx. 11.4 miles away); Boy Scout Troop No. 17 (approx. 11.4 miles away); The Great Panhandle Indian Scare of 1891 (approx. 11.4 miles away); Charles Howard Roan (approx. 11.4 miles away).
Categories. Notable Buildings
Goodnight Ranch House image. Click for full size.
By Timothy McDaniel, November 5, 2011
2. Goodnight Ranch House
The Goodnights moved in this spacious, two-story house on December 27, 1887. Records show that he hired a carpenter for $100 a month to travel to Louisiana to select cypress wood for the house, which became the first home in Goodnight, Texas. The 2,900 square foot, two-story Victorian style home contains hardwood floors made in Trinidad, Colorado, and has leaded stained glass in the windows. The house contains a 361 square foot basement and a 268-square foot sleeping porch on the south side. Two out buildings still stand on the property. Over the years , plumbing and bathrooms, were added, but the house remains essentially as Goodnight had it built and was occupied until 1998. The house was state of the art in its day, a graceful structure with five chimneys and a three color paint scheme. It included wide porches and bay windows. inside, beneath 9'4" ceilings, were four bedrooms, a parlor, Goodnights office, a dining room, a kitchen and a ballroom where Molly Goodnight entertained. The house was bought by the Mattie Hedgecock estate in 1933, and used as ranch headquarters until 1998. Mr. and Mrs. Brent Caviness, and Mr. and Mrs. Marsh Pittman bought the house in 2004. In 2005, they donated the home and 30 acres to the Armstrong county museum. In 2007 the house received Historical designation from the state of Texas and the national register of historical places.
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Timothy McDaniel of Clarendon, Texas. This page has been viewed 947 times since then and 117 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Timothy McDaniel of Clarendon, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement