Melbourne in Brevard County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Advent Christian Church
In 1914 a church building was built at 1598 Highland Avenue next to the old Eau Gallie Post Office. There were 30 church members in 1914. The Mathers, Goodwins, Booths, Thompsons, Carters, St. Clairs, Weldons, Bells, Simmons, Harts and Baxters.
In 1946 plans were made for a new church building. Much of the materials and furnishing of the old building were incorporated into the new church. The first service held in the new church building was on August 1, 1948 with only five members present. Mr. & Mrs. J. L. St. Clair, Mr. & Mrs. Albert Thompson, and Mrs. Sallie Bell. On Sept. 2, 1948, the Rev. Bixler conducted the first service by a minister.
Location. 28° 7.99′ N, 80° 37.715′ W. Marker is in Melbourne, Florida, in Brevard County. Marker is on Highland Avenue, on the left when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1598 Highland Avenue, Melbourne FL 32935, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance Old Eau Gallie Post Office and Surrounding Area (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Paul's United Methodist Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Ginter Building (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Corner of Highland and Law Street (about 500 feet away); Old City Hall Complex (about 700 feet away); William H. Gleason House (about 700 feet away); Population on the Rise (about 800 feet away); Karrick's Grocery (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Melbourne.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Jamie Cox of Melbourne, Florida. This page has been viewed 520 times since then and 112 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Jamie Cox of Melbourne, Florida. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.