Arlington in Arlington County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The Clarendon Elementary School was built in 1910 to serve the growing Clarendon neighborhood. The two-story symmetrical building was designed with a central hall and four classrooms on each floor. The school was renamed in 1925 to honor Matthew Fontaine Maury (1806-1873), known as the “Pathfinder of the Seas.” He was a native Virginian, naval officer, geographer, and oceanographer. Prior to the Civil War he was the head of the Naval Observatory. In 1861 he resigned from the U.S. Navy to become a Commander in the Confederate Navy. The Maury Elementary School closed in 1975, and in 1977 opened as the Arlington Arts Center. The Maury School is a designated Arlington County Landmark and is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
Erected by Arlington County, Virginia.
Location. 38° 52.913′ N, 77° 6.154′ W. Marker is in Arlington, Virginia, in Arlington County. Marker is at the intersection of Wilson Blvd. and N Monroe Street, on the right when traveling east on Wilson Blvd.. Click for map. Marker is at the southeast corner of the intersection. Marker is in this post office area: Arlington VA 22201, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Ball Family Burial Ground Ballston (approx. 0.4 miles away); Arlington County War Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); Arlington Post Office (approx. half a mile away); Buckingham (approx. half a mile away); Welburn Square (approx. half a mile away); Ball's Crossroads (approx. 0.6 miles away); Peck Chevrolet (approx. 0.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Arlington.
Categories. • Education • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 330 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.