Happy Home Baptist Church
This church, founded soon after the Civil War, held its first services in a brush arbor in the Woods community of what was then Barnwell County. It built its first permanent church, a frame building, in the Zion Branch community near Old Allendale, and adopted the name Zion Branch Baptist Church. The church bought this site in 1875, built a new frame sanctuary here, and was renamed Happy Home Baptist Church.
Rev. Jacob S. Daniels served the church for almost thirty years, and the congregation grew from 66 members in 1877 to 258 members in 1890. By 1902, his son, Rev. George C. Daniels, succeeded him as pastor, and the church had 379 members. In 1911, during the pastorate of Rev. S.J. Rice, the church received a state charter and built its present church, a brick Gothic Revival building.
Erected 2011 by The Congregation. (Marker Number 3-14.)
Location. 33° 0.579′ N, 81° 18.578′ W. Marker is in Allendale, South Carolina, in Allendale County. Marker is on Railroad Avenue W (State Highway 3-10) near Memorial Avenue (State Highway 3-71), on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 336 Railroad Ave W, Allendale SC 29810, United States of America.
Other nearby markers.
Categories. • African Americans • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 463 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.