Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Guilderland in Albany County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Inn of Jacob Crounse

 
 
Inn of Jacob Crounse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Howard C. Ohlhous, November 5, 2011
1. Inn of Jacob Crounse Marker
Inscription.
Built 1833. Midway tavern
where horses were changed on
Schoharie-Albany
Stage Coach Route

 
Erected 1932 by New York State Education Department.
 
Location. 42° 42.298′ N, 74° 1.121′ W. Marker is in Guilderland, New York, in Albany County. Marker is on New York State Route 146, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 751 Route 146, Guilderland NY 12084, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Knower House (within shouting distance of this marker); Dr F. Crounse (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Family Cemetery (approx. 0.3 miles away); Old Plank Road (approx. 0.3 miles away); Severson House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Altamont High School (approx. 0.6 miles away); John Groot (approx. 0.6 miles away); Altamont (approx. 0.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Guilderland.
 
Regarding Inn of Jacob Crounse. This area along Route 146 was at one time the center of the hamlet of Knowersville. Knowersville became Altamont in 1887 when the Post Office requested the change to avoid confusion with another town. The original building was
Inn of Jacob Crounse Marker & the Inn image. Click for full size.
By Howard C. Ohlhous, November 5, 2011
2. Inn of Jacob Crounse Marker & the Inn
Route 146 in Guilderland, just east of the Village of Altamont. The Marker is on the lawn in front of the Inn.
rectangular in plan with a gable roof. Around 1870 the inn was enlarged slightly by adding a center gable wing on the front and a one story porch. Porch has squared columns and hipped roof. A large, square cupola is at the intersection of the gables. This large inn was built for Jacob Crounse in the 1830's and was a very popular stopping place for travelers on the Schoharie Turnpike. Stage coaches would change their horses here so the inn was a center of activity. Although the building has been a residence for over fifty years, the house retains the ambience of the old inn. The Crounse family was one of the earliest to settle this area and was very active in the politics of the town.
 
Categories. PoliticsSettlements & Settlers
 
Inn of Jacob Crounse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Howard C. Ohlhous, November 13, 2011
3. Inn of Jacob Crounse Marker
Inn of Jacob Crounse image. Click for full size.
By Howard C. Ohlhous, November 5, 2011
4. Inn of Jacob Crounse
The marker is at the left in this photo.
Inn of Jacob Crounse image. Click for full size.
By Howard C. Ohlhous, November 5, 2011
5. Inn of Jacob Crounse
The stone beside the road is the old carriage stone that was used as a step when entering or exiting the stagecoach or a horse drawn carriage.
Inn of Jacob Crounse Carriage Stone image. Click for full size.
By Howard C. Ohlhous, November 13, 2011
6. Inn of Jacob Crounse Carriage Stone
Another view of the streetside carriage stone.
The Former Jacob Crounse Inn image. Click for full size.
By Howard C. Ohlhous, November 13, 2011
7. The Former Jacob Crounse Inn
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. This page has been viewed 576 times since then and 17 times this year. Last updated on , by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.   3. submitted on , by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.   4, 5. submitted on , by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.   6, 7. submitted on , by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement