Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Altamont in Albany County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Altamont

 
 
Altamont Marker image. Click for full size.
By Howard C. Ohlhous, November 2, 2011
1. Altamont Marker
Inscription.
Incorporated as a village
1890. Officers; President
Hiram Griggs; Trustees
Smith Philley, Jesse
Crounse. Henry A. Wilbur

 
Erected by New York.
 
Location. 42° 42.105′ N, 74° 1.919′ W. Marker is in Altamont, New York, in Albany County. Marker is on Main Street (New York State Route 146), on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Altamont NY 12009, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Inn of George Severson (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Altamont High School (approx. 0.2 miles away); John Groot (approx. 0.4 miles away); Old Plank Road (approx. 0.4 miles away); Severson House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Family Cemetery (approx. half a mile away); Dr F. Crounse (approx. 0.6 miles away); Knower House (approx. 0.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Altamont.
 
Regarding Altamont. Altamont is an historic village of approximately 1,737 residents located at the base of the Helderberg escarpment in the Town of Guilderland in Albany County, New York. The Village is located at the crossing of New York State Routes 146 and 156. The
Altamont Marker image. Click for full size.
By Howard C. Ohlhous, October 21, 2011
2. Altamont Marker
View is to the west, up Main Street.
Bozen Kill and two smaller creeks run through the Village from west to east, and the Voorheesville line railroad bisects the community from east to west. In colonial times, the area was part of lands granted by the Dutch West India Company to Killian Van Rensselaer in 1630 and was known as Hellerburgh in the early 1700s.

In the early 1800s the hamlet of Knowersville was established and eventually became known as Altamont, which means “high mountains.” Altamont was a summer vacation community centered on the railroad – and its land use pattern is defined by the historic grid of streets within walking distance to the station. The former train station is being renovated as the new home of the Altamont Free Library. The Village center has a post office, restaurants, Altamont Elementary School, a weekly newspaper, The Altamont Enterprise, and 3 churches: St Lucy Roman Catholic Church, St John Lutheran Church, and the Altamont Reformed Church. The Altamont Fairground hosts a week long country fair in mid-August and other festivals.
 
Also see . . .  About Altamont Village. (Submitted on November 20, 2012, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.)
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
Altamont Historic District image. Click for full size.
By Howard C. Ohlhous, October 21, 2011
3. Altamont Historic District
An Altamont home next to the marker, a circa 1886 structure listed with 17 others in the Altamont Historic District in 1982.
The Altamont Fair image. Click for full size.
By Howard C. Ohlhous, November 5, 2011
4. The Altamont Fair
The sign for the Altamont Fair is a familiar landmark at the edge of the village. The Altamont Fair, a long tradition in the area, is a tri-county fair representing Albany, Schenectady and Greene Counties, first held in September of 1893.
The Altamont Train Station image. Click for full size.
By Howard C. Ohlhous, October 21, 2011
5. The Altamont Train Station
An icon of the Village of Altamont, the 1887 Delaware and Hudson Railroad Passenger Station was in use for 77 years until the railroad discontinued passenger service along the line in 1964. For a time the building was the village hall. In late 2011 the building was being prepared for use as the Altamont Public Library.
The Hiram Griggs House image. Click for full size.
By Howard C. Ohlhous, November 13, 2011
6. The Hiram Griggs House
The Hiram Griggs House is historically and architecturally significant as a local example of Victorian Italianate styling and for its association with Hiram Griggs (1836-1909), the first Mayor of the Village of Altamont. The house was built for Griggs in 1873. Griggs was an attorney with an office in Knowersville, and secured employment with the Albany & Susquehanna Railroad (later the D&H) related to the new rail line in Knowersville. Later Griggs would use his influence to facilitate the name change of the village from Knowersville to Altamont. His former home was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on July, 19, 2010.
The Hayes House in Altamont image. Click for full size.
By Howard C. Ohlhous, May 3, 2013
7. The Hayes House in Altamont
The Hayes House on Fairview Ave. in Altamont was built by carpenter Earl W. Teter in 1910 for Miles Hayes (1856-1925). Hayes was a progressive small town miller who was in his day the magnate of the community. He had his first home moved to the adjacent lot to the east in order to have his new home beside his mill business between the D&H railroad tracks and the house. In 1971 the Hayes House was donated to the Altamont Fair, and it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on January 17, 1973. This fully furnished Victorian home was turned into a museum that was open to the public during the Fair and the Fair's Christmas celebration. The Fair sold the house to Jeff and Jackie Genovesi in 2003, and there was a new owner in 2013.
Altamont image. Click for full size.
By Howard C. Ohlhous, November 13, 2011
8. Altamont
Altamont From Thacher image. Click for full size.
By Howard C. Ohlhous, November 18, 2012
9. Altamont From Thacher
This view of Altamont was taken looking to the northeast from an overlook called High Point Cliff, which is located in the newer (2004/2006), northern section of John Boyd Thatcher State Park. This scenic spot with great views from the escarpment is 1.06 miles from the Old Stage Road Trailhead parking. The white steeple of St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church on Maple Ave. is left of center, and the Altamont Fair's Fine Arts and Flower Exhibition Hall is in the lower right.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. This page has been viewed 842 times since then and 27 times this year. Last updated on , by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.   6. submitted on , by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.   7. submitted on , by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.   8. submitted on , by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.   9. submitted on , by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement