Guilderland in Albany County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
First Road West By
German Refugees To
Erected 1975 by Pine Bush Historic Preservation Project.
Location. 42° 42.188′ N, 73° 57.227′ W. Marker is in Guilderland, New York, in Albany County. Marker is on New York State Route 146 near Wagner Road, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Guilderland NY 12084, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Battle of Normanskill (approx. 0.4 miles away); Freeman House (approx. half a mile away); House Built 1802 (approx. 0.6 miles away); Farm of Evert Bancker (approx. 1.2 miles away); French's Hollow (approx. 1.3 miles away); First Meeting (approx. 1.7 miles away); Glass Works (approx. 2.1 miles away); Henry Rowe Schoolcraft (approx. 2.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Guilderland.
Regarding Palatine Road. In 1712 the Palatines, earliest European settlers in the Schoharie Valley, travelled over rough and rutty ox-trails that had once been Indian footpaths through Guilderland to reach their new promised land. For these Palatine pioneers Schoharie was the
There is great historical connection between the peoples of the Schoharie Valley and Guilderland. Among the early English settlers of Schoharie was James Calcraft, soldier of Queen Anne and veteran of the war in Flanders. At the request of the Palatine settlers, Calcraft set up an English school to teach the German immigrants and their children the language of their new country. Calcraft's name was Americanized to Schoolcraft, and Guilderland residents will recognize him as the grandfather of John and Lawrence Schoolcraft
The historic marker denotes the Indian footpath that became the old Schoharie Road on which the German Palatine refugees travelled in their search for freedom and a promised land. It also illustrates the richness of Guilderland's history. Later traveling Palatine refugees arrived in Guilderland and chose to stay in the shadow of the "clear mountain" which they named Helleberg, to build their farms and lives. - Alice Begley, Guilderland Town Historian
Categories. • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. This page has been viewed 778 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on , by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. 2. submitted on , by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. 3. submitted on , by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.