Macon in Bibb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Reverend Joseph A. Shanklin was rector when this Gothic structure was erected. On Sunday, May 2, 1852, it was consecrated by The right Reverend Stephen Elliott, the first bishop of Georgia. James B. Ayres was the master builder. The original church bell was given to the Confederate Government in 1863 and in 1868 a new bell was presented to the church by A. A. Roff, a member. This bell bears the inscription: “On earth peace, good will to men.”
Sidney Lanier, poet, was married to Miss Mary Day in Christ Church on December 19, 1867.
Erected 1959 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 011-19.)
Marker series. This marker Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 32° 50.33′ N, 83° 37.581′ W. Marker is in Macon, Georgia, in Bibb County. Marker is on Walnut Street 0 miles east of 2nd Street, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 582 Walnut Street, Macon GA 31201, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bibb County (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Jefferson Davis at the Lanier House (about 600 feet away); Wilson's Raid To Macon (about 600 feet away); The First Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Freemasonry in Macon (approx. 0.2 miles away); Macon History (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mulberry Street Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Public Camellia Show (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Macon.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 537 times since then and 79 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.