“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Eden in Saint Clair County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)

Camp Winnataska

Camp Winnataska Marker image. Click for full size.
By David J Gaines, November 16, 2011
1. Camp Winnataska Marker
Inscription. Dr. Elwyn Ballard, Commissioner of Boy Scouts in Birmingham, and his wife, Florence Aye Ballard, discovered this site in 1914, and became vital forces in the founding and growth of the camp. Boy Scouts and Boys Club members from the area first camped here in tents in 1916. Through Dr. Ballard, the Interdenominational Birmingham Sunday School Association acquired the camp in 1918 and offered sessions not only for boys but for girls as well – the first organization-sponsored camping for girls in Alabama and among the first in the South. Daniel Ray Price, Executive Secretary of the Association, directed the camp 1922 – 1957. Rosa V. Strickland, educator and church leader served as girls camp director 1919 – 1954. Winnataska early received national recognition for excellence of staff, facilities, and programs.
Erected 1997 by Camp Winnataska Advisory Committee and the Alabama Historical Association. (Marker Number None.)
Location. 33° 32.514′ N, 86° 26.528′ W. Marker is in Eden, Alabama, in Saint Clair County. Marker is on Camp Winnataska Drive, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Leeds AL 35094, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within
Camp Winnataska Marker image. Click for full size.
By David J Gaines, January 16, 2011
2. Camp Winnataska Marker
8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. John Henry (approx. 5.6 miles away); The Depot (approx. 5.6 miles away); Shiloh Cemetery (approx. 5.8 miles away); Leeds Benchmarks In History (approx. 5.9 miles away); Jonathan Bass House Museum (approx. 6.7 miles away); Congressional Medal Of Honor Recipients (approx. 6.9 miles away); Old Sterrett Cemetery (approx. 7.2 miles away); Sidney Word Lee (approx. 7.3 miles away).
Regarding Camp Winnataska. The last part of the marker text is difficult to read, but the Alabama Historical Associationīs records indicate that it should read, "In 1986, Camp Winnataska and the Boy Scouts, Birmingham Area Council, formed a joint venture to operate the Camp Winnataska Outdoor Education Center."
Categories. Charity & Public Work
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. This page has been viewed 508 times since then and 89 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement