Pell City in Saint Clair County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
A County Older Than The State
St. Clair County
Pell City established as industrial town in 1890 by George H. Pell of New York.
Growth of population south of Backbone Mt. and difficulty of crossing mountain led to branch county seat here in 1902. County seat at Ashville since 1822.
Old Indian trails thru this county used by: DeSoto’s Spanish conquistadors – 1540, Andrew Jackson’s forces – 1813-14, Generals Rosseau, Craxton – 1864-65.
Erected 1957. (Marker Number None.)
Location. 33° 35.162′ N, 86° 17.214′ W. Marker is in Pell City, Alabama, in Saint Clair County. Marker is at the intersection of Cogswell Avenue and 18th Street, on the right when traveling west on Cogswell Avenue. Click for map. The marker is located on the lawn of the Pell City branch courthouse. Marker is in this post office area: Pell City AL 35125, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Historic Downtown Pell City (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Pell City, Alabama (about Pell City’s Historical Residential District (approx. ¼ mile away); Harkey’s Chapel United Methodist Church Founded Circa 1829-1830 (approx. 5.7 miles away); Camp Winnataska (approx. 9.5 miles away); Lincoln, Alabama (approx. 9.9 miles away); Refuge Cemetery (approx. 10.8 miles away); Town of Margaret (approx. 12.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Pell City.
Categories. • Exploration • Political Subdivisions • Settlements & Settlers • War of 1812 •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. This page has been viewed 483 times since then and 89 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.