“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
West Columbia in Brazoria County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)


Columbia Marker image. Click for full size.
By Debbie A. Sutherland, November 20, 2011
1. Columbia Marker
Inscription. In September 1836 Columbia, now known as West Columbia, became capital of the Republic of Texas. This took place with the removal of the ad interim government here from Velasco. After the election called by ad interim President David G. Burnet, the first permanent government of the Republic went into operation here in Columbia in October.

Inaugurated were President Sam Houston and Vice-President Mirabeau B. Lamar. Under their leadership the first duly elected congress convened and the first constitution of the Republic was ratified.

Citizens of this vicinity served the Republic. Henry Smith of nearby Brazoria prior to this time had been the first Anglo-American Governor of Texas, in the 1835-1836 revolutionary provisional government. In President Houston's cabinet, he was Secretary of the Treasury.

Stephen F. Austin, colonizer and Father of Texas, was Secretary of State; under the heavy demands of that office, his health broke and he died here on December 27, 1836.

In April, 1837, at the wish of President Houston, the seat of government was moved to more adequate quarters in the City of Houston.
Erected 1965 by Texas State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 9547.)
Location. 29° 8.536′ N, 95° 38.914′ W. Marker is in West Columbia, Texas, in Brazoria County. Marker is at the intersection of South 17th Street (Texas Route 35) and East Bernard Street, on the right when traveling north on South 17th Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 301 S 17th St, West Columbia TX 77486, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Columbia United Methodist Church (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Columbia Cemetery (about 600 feet away); Columbia Rosenwald School (approx. 0.2 miles away); Columbia - The First Capital of The Republic of Texas (approx. 0.2 miles away); Near Site of First Capitol of the Republic of Texas (approx. 0.4 miles away); Vietnam Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); Site of the Home of Josiah Hughes Bell (approx. 0.9 miles away); Home of George B. McKinstry (approx. one mile away). Click for a list of all markers in West Columbia.
Also see . . .  Historical Sites - Birthplace of a Republic. West Columbia, Texas (Submitted on November 28, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.) 
Categories. War, Texas Independence
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Debbie A. Sutherland of West Columbia, Texas. This page has been viewed 419 times since then and 73 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on , by Debbie A. Sutherland of West Columbia, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide shot of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement