Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
East Columbia in Brazoria County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

The Ammon Underwood House

 
 
The Ammon Underwood House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Debbie A. Sutherland, November 20, 2011
1. The Ammon Underwood House Marker
Inscription. A structure erected in noted old river port town of Marion in Republic of Texas era. First portion, of hand-hewn cedar, was built about 1835 by colonist Thomas W. Nibbs. Merchant-civic leader-soldier Ammon Underwood (1810-87) bought and enlarged house in 1838-39. In 1839 he married Rachel Jane, daughter of William and Catherine Carson, of Austin's original colony. President Anson Jones and other famous Texans often visited the Underwoods.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark-1970
(addition)
Entered in the National Register of Historic Places 1976
 
Erected 1970 by Texas State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 9612.)
 
Location. 29° 8.421′ N, 95° 37.017′ W. Marker is in East Columbia, Texas, in Brazoria County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (County Road 703) and Austin Street (County Road 300E), on the left when traveling south on Main Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 523 Main St, West Columbia TX 77486, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Sweeny-Waddy Log Cabin (within shouting distance of this marker); Dance Gun Shop (about 300 feet
The Ammon Underwood House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Debbie A. Sutherland, November 20, 2011
2. The Ammon Underwood House Marker
away, measured in a direct line); Aldridge - Smith House (about 400 feet away); Tyler-Bryan-Weems House (about 500 feet away); Bell's Landing (about 600 feet away); Site of Carry Nation's Hotel (about 700 feet away); M.L. Weems House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Near Site of First Capitol of the Republic of Texas (approx. 1.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in East Columbia.
 
Also see . . .  Ammon Underwood House - Remnant of Stephen F. Austin's original colony. First Capitol Historical Foundation (Submitted on November 28, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. War, Texas Independence
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Debbie A. Sutherland of West Columbia, Texas. This page has been viewed 646 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Debbie A. Sutherland of West Columbia, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement