Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Emporia in Lyon County, Kansas — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Emporia

 
 
Emporia Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., May 2, 2011
1. Emporia Marker
Inscription.
Founded Feb. 22nd, 1857
by
George W. Brown
G. W. Deitzler
Lyman Allan
Columbus Hornsby
Preston B. Plumb
Site of First Public Building,
The "Emporia House" (Hotel)
June 1st, 1857
First Issue of Kanzas News
June 6th, 1857
First Public Church Services
June 7th, 1857
Bank Site Since 1872
Memorial by Lyon County
Old Settlers Association
George Plumb, President
John E. Hinshaw, Sec'y-Treas.
Feb. 22nd, 1924
—————
1857 - 1921
This marks the site of
The Emporia House,
First Public Building
in the town,
Erected in 1857 by the
Emporia Town Company.

 
Erected 1924 by Lyon County Old Settlers Association and Daughters of the American Revolution.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
 
Location. 38° 24.292′ N, 96° 10.822′ W. Marker is in Emporia, Kansas, in Lyon County. Marker is at the intersection of 6th Avenue and Commercial Street (Kansas Highway 99), on the right when traveling east on 6th Avenue. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 527 Commercial Street, Emporia KS 66801, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.
Emporia Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., May 2, 2011
2. Emporia Marker
On wall of building. Looking southwest.
At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of the "Kanzas News" (within shouting distance of this marker); William Allen White (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); White Memorial Park (about 400 feet away); Kress Building (about 500 feet away); In Commemoration of the College of Emporia (about 700 feet away); College of Emporia World Wars Memorial (about 700 feet away); Emporia Free Library (about 700 feet away); Mrs. Preston B. Plumb House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Emporia.
 
Also see . . .
1. City of Emporia, Kansas. (Submitted on November 23, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Lyon County Historical Society. (Submitted on November 23, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
3. Emporia Downtown Historic District Nomination. Pages 25 and 26, Building number 27 - the Old Citizen's Bank Building, which these plaques are attached, is detailed within the National Register Form. (Submitted on August 18, 2014, by Thomas Onions of Olathe, Kansas.) 
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.CommunicationsIndustry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 302 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement