Covington in Newton County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Washington Street School
A Bedrock of Black History in Newton County, GA.
1941 -- A new brick school house was completed. The name and traditions remained the same.
1947 - The city and county school systems consolidated.
1955 - Washington Street High School faculty and students moved to R. L. Cousins School.
1971 - The Washington Street Grammar School closed.
1979 - Washington Street Community Center, Inc. was organized.
WASHINGTON STREET SCHOOL – A BELOVED LEGACY
"Consider education not as the painful accumulation of facts but as the transmission of our mental, moral, technical and aesthetic heritage as fully as possible to as many as possible . . . " Durant
Erected 2003 by Newton County Historical Society Landmark Committee. (Marker Number 23.)
Location. 33° 35.617′ N, 83° 52.1′ W. Marker is in Covington, Georgia, in Newton County. Marker is on School Street just south of Washington Street (Route 81), on the left when traveling north. Click for map. The marker is on the wall of the Washington Street Community Center, adjacent to the
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Capture of Covington (approx. 0.4 miles away); Lucius Q. C. Lamar (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Female College (approx. 0.7 miles away); Covington City School (approx. 0.7 miles away); City Hall (approx. 0.7 miles away); Confederate Dead & Hospitals (approx. 0.7 miles away); Garrard’s Cavalry Raid (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Stoneman Raid (approx. 0.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Covington.
Categories. • African Americans • Education •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 397 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.