Hilton Head Island in Beaufort County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
This Civil War fort, named for Gen. Joshua Blackwood Howell (1806-1864), was built by the U.S. Army to defend Hilton Head Island and the nearby freedmenís village of Mitchelville from potential Confederate raids or expeditions. That village, just east of here, had been established by Gen. Ormsby M. Mitchel in the fall of 1862 and was named for him after his death.
This fort was an enclosed pentagonal earthwork with a 23í high parapet and emplacements for up to 27 guns. It was built from August to November 1864 by the 32nd U.S. Colored Infantry and the 144th N.Y. Infantry. Though Fort Howell never saw action, it is significant for its design and its structural integrity. It was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2011.
Erected 2011 by The Hilton Head Island Land Trust, Inc. (Marker Number 7-34.)
Location. 32° 14.056′ N, 80° 41.526′ W. Marker is in Hilton Head Island, South Carolina, in Beaufort County. Marker is on Beach City Road near Dillon Road, on the left when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hilton Head Island SC 29926, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking Fort Howell - 1864 (here, next to this marker); Mitchelville Site (within shouting distance of this marker); St. James Baptist Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Battle of Port Royal (approx. 0.8 miles away); Hilton Head (approx. 0.8 miles away); Fish Hall Plantation (approx. 0.8 miles away); Thomas Fenwick Drayton (approx. 0.8 miles away); Two Gallant Gentlemen from South Carolina (approx. 0.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Hilton Head Island.
Regarding Fort Howell. Fort Howell, a Civil War earthwork fortification constructed in 1864, is significant in military history for its role in the Federal occupation and defense of Hilton Head Island; for its association with United States Colored Troops and the role they played in the occupation and defense of the island, and particularly in the construction of this fort; and for its association with Mitchelville, the nearby freedmenís village it was built to defend, a settlement which had been established on Hilton Head Island in 1862-63. The fort is also significant for its engineering, as a rare, sophisticated, and particularly intact example of a large semi-permanent field fortification, designed by Captain Charles R. Suter, Chief of Engineers, Department of the South, U.S. Army. The fort was constructed from late
Listed in the National Register June 15, 2011.(South Carolina Department of Archives and History)
Also see . . .
1. Joshua B. Howell. Colonel Howell died in the field hospital of the 85th Pennsylvania on September (Submitted on November 26, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
2. New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs: Military History. 144th Infantry Regiment Civil War Mustered in: September 27, 1862 Mustered out: June 25, 1865 (Submitted on November 26, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
3. 32nd Regiment. United States Colored Regiment The regiment was ordered to duty in the Department of the South, and arrived at Hilton Head on the 27th of April. (Submitted on November 26, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 683 times since then and 90 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.