Golden and Clear Creek
The French first named the waterway “Cannon Ball Creek” because of the size and shape of the river rock on the creek bottom. In 1832, the name was changed to Vasquez Fork, also commonly called the Vasquez River, named after Louis Vasquez, a fur trader who built his fort north of the confluence of the South Platte River and the Creek. Around 1859, the people of the region began calling it Clear Creek because of the clarity of the water at that time.
Background photo: Clear Creek running through Golden. Courtesy Colorado Historical Society.
Location. 39° 45.408′ N, 105° 13.358′ W. Marker is in Golden, Colorado, in Jefferson County. Marker is on Washington Avenue Bridge, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Golden CO 80401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Settler Farm Wife’s Initiative (here, next to this marker); First Bicycle Mishap in Golden (here, next to this marker); A Daring Rescue (here, next to this marker); Porcelain and Malted Milk (here, next to this marker); Fun on Courthouse Hill (here, next to this marker); Brewing on Clear Creek-Coors History (here, next to this marker); Gold (here, next to this marker); Irrigation and Farming (here, next to this marker). Click for a list of all markers in Golden.
Categories. • Natural Features •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Charles T. Harrell of Woodford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 472 times since then and 108 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on , by Charles T. Harrell of Woodford, Virginia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.