“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Seaford in Sussex County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)

Old Seaford Post Office

Old Seaford Post Office Marker image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, December 8, 2007
1. Old Seaford Post Office Marker
Inscription. A post office was established in this community in 1827. For many years it did a large shipping business by water. The coming of the railroad in the 1850s resulted in an even greater demand for postal services. For more than a century the post office was housed in a variety of privately owned locations throughout the town. In 1934 the United States Government purchased this site for Seaford's first publicly owned post office. Ground was broken in April 1935, and the new building was formally dedicated the following September. The facility was expanded in 1960 with the completion of an addition that doubled the size of the structure. It remained in continuous use until February 2001, when it was formally vacated following the construction of a new post office at another location.

The Old Seaford Post Office was purchased by the Seaford Historical Society in July 2001, and opened as the Seaford Museum in 2002.
Erected 2002 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number SC-155.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Postal Mail and Philately marker series.
Location. 38° 38.426′ N, 75° 36.808′ W. Marker is in Seaford, Delaware, in Sussex County. Marker is at the intersection
Old Seaford Post Office image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, December 8, 2007
2. Old Seaford Post Office
Now the home of the Seaford Museum.
of High Street and Conwell Street, on the right when traveling east on High Street. Click for map. Marker is attached to the building. Marker is at or near this postal address: 203 High Street, Seaford DE 19973, Seaford DE 19973, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Delaware Railroad (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mount Olivet United Methodist Church (about 600 feet away); Seaford Fire Department (about 600 feet away); St. John's United Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Governor William H. H. Ross (approx. 0.3 miles away); St. Luke's Episcopal Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Forty & Eight Boxcar (approx. 0.4 miles away); Nanticoke Post No. 6 (approx. 0.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Seaford.
Categories. Communications
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,680 times since then and 72 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement