Emporia in Lyon County, Kansas — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
St. Mary's Hospital of Emporia
In 1928 the building was replaced by a new St. Mary's Hospital at 15th Avenue and State Street in Emporia. The White Cross here at this memorial site was a part of that hospital until it closed in 1991.
This memorial honors the Catholic nuns, Franciscan priests, doctors, nurses and all other care-givers who dedicated a part of their lives to St. Mary's Hospital.
The Catholic nuns who administered the hospital are named below:
Sisters of St. Francis of Lafayette, In. later of Colorado Springs, Co. and Mishawauka, In. 1884-1963
Sisters of St. Francis of Dubuque, Ia. 1963-1985
Sisters of St. Joseph of Wichita, Ks. 1985-1991
Erected by Sacred Heart Parish.
Location. 38° 23.963′ N, 96° 10.484′ W. Marker is in Emporia, Kansas, in Lyon County. Marker is on Exchange Street near 1st Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is at Sacred
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Civil War Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mrs. Preston B. Plumb House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Emporia Free Library (approx. half a mile away); In Commemoration of the College of Emporia (approx. half a mile away); College of Emporia World Wars Memorial (approx. half a mile away); Emporia (approx. half a mile away); Site of the "Kanzas News" (approx. half a mile away); William Allen White (approx. half a mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Emporia.
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Churches, Etc. • Science & Medicine •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 566 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. 3, 4. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.