Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Culver City in Los Angeles County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Culver City

Site of City Hall

 

—Dedicated 1928 —

 
Culver City Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, November 26, 2007
1. Culver City Marker
Inscription. The city of Culver City incorporated in 1912, built its first permanent City Hall on this site in 1926. This is a portion of the original Spanish landgrant, Rancho La Ballona.
 
Erected 1981 by Culver City Historical Society. (Marker Number 1.)
 
Location. 34° 1.271′ N, 118° 23.779′ W. Marker is in Culver City, California, in Los Angeles County. Marker is at the intersection of Culver Boulevard and Duquesne Avenue, on the right when traveling north on Culver Boulevard. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 9770 Culver Boulevard, Culver City CA 90232, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Hull Building (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); American Legion Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); St. Augustine's Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Main Street (approx. ¼ mile away); The Culver Studios (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Citizen Publishing Building (approx. 0.3 miles away); Dr. Paul Carlson Memorial Park (approx. half a mile away); Veterans Memorial Building (VMB) (approx. 0.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Culver City.
 
Also see . . .
1. Self-Guided Walking Tour. As you tour Downtown Culver City, you will see informative plaques installed on all city-designated Landmark
Culver City Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, January 21, 2012
2. Culver City Marker
View of the marker on a rainy Southern California January day.
and Significant structures, sites marked by the Culver City Historical Society and structures designated with National Register status. (Submitted on November 29, 2011, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California.) 

2. Early Settlers of La Ballona. In 1819, Agustín and Ygnacio Machado joined with Felipe Talamantes and his son, Tomás, to acquire grazing rights to 14,000 acres of land. The family lore relates that Agustín was chosen, by virtue of his skill as a horseman to ride his fastest steed, from dawn until dusk, beginning at the foot of the Playa del Rey hills to claim Rancho La Ballona. (Submitted on November 30, 2011.) 
 
Categories. Government
 
Site of City Hall image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, November 26, 2007
3. Site of City Hall
Marker is off photo to the right.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. This page has been viewed 472 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on , by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California.   2. submitted on , by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California.   3. submitted on , by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement