Galveston in Galveston County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of Ursuline Convent and Academy
The frame structure was destroyed by fire in 1854, and the nuns obtained funding by subscription to build a brick structure in 1855. That facility also became a place of refuge after several outbreaks of yellow fever. During the Civil War, the nuns nursed soldiers from both sides of the conflict there.
A new Ursuline Academy was designed by noted Galveston architect Nicholas J. Clayton in the 1890s. The massive Gothic structure provided shelter during many storms until 1961, when hurricane Carla damaged the school beyond repair. In 1964 a new Ursuline Academy was dedicated; It later became a junior high school campus. The old Ursuline Convent was razed in 1974.
Erected 1997 by Texas Historical Commission.
Location. 29° 17.693′ N, 94° 47.576′ Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Galveston TX 77550, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Ursuline Convent in the Civil War (within shouting distance of this marker); Jack Johnson (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Galveston Garten Verein (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sweeney-Royston House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hutchings House (approx. ¼ mile away); a different marker also named Hutchings House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Galveston Children's Home (approx. 0.3 miles away); George Dealey (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Galveston.
Categories. • Education • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 521 times since then and 58 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on , by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. 2. submitted on , by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. 3. submitted on . • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.