“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Anaheim in Orange County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)

Old Anaheim Library

Old Anaheim Library Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, May 31, 2008
1. Old Anaheim Library Marker
Inscription. Anaheim's first building constructed exclusively for library use was erected in 1908 with a grant of $10,000 from philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. The site was purchased with funds raised by popular subscription. This building was designed by Los Angeles architect Johnn C. Austin. Of the five Carnegie-funded libraries in Orange County, only this one remains. It served as a public library until 1962.
Erected 2001 by Orange County Board of Supervisors and Orange County Historical Commission. (Marker Number 48.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Carnegie Libraries marker series.
Location. 33° 50.025′ N, 117° 54.811′ W. Marker is in Anaheim, California, in Orange County. Marker is on South Anaheim Boulevard 0.3 miles south of West Lincoln Avenue, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 241 South Anaheim Boulevard, Anaheim CA 92805, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Helena Modjeska (approx. 0.4 miles away); St. Michael's Episcopal Church (approx. half a mile away); North Gate of City of Anaheim (approx. mile away); Site of San Pedro Gate (approx. 0.8 miles away); Mother Colony House (approx. 0.9 miles away); a different marker also named Mother Colony House (approx. 0.9 miles away); Anaheim Cemetery (approx. one mile away but has been reported missing); Loara School Bell (approx. 1.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Anaheim.
Also see . . .
1. Carnegie Libraries of California - Anaheim. A short history and photo of the building. (Submitted on December 3, 2011.) 

2. Anaheim Library History - 1872-1907. In 1872 P.A. Clark and H.S. Austin planned to establish a circulating library in Anaheim and it opened in August 1873. In July 1906 President and Secretary of Library Board appointed to visit Fullerton Library to inquire of the method of securing a Carnegie Library. (Submitted on December 3, 2011.) 
Categories. Education
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. This page has been viewed 431 times since then and 72 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on , by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide area view of the marker and its surroundings. • Photo of the library building. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement