“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Galveston in Galveston County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)

St. Mary's Hospital

St. Mary's Hospital Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans, November 24, 2011
1. St. Mary's Hospital Marker
Inscription. Organized in 1866, this institution was the first private hospital established in the state. Originally known as Charity Hospital, it was founded by three French Catholic Sisters, members in the Order of Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word. Constructed on this site, which had been part of Fort Scurry during the Civil War, the hospital opened for patients on April 1, 1867.

The new hospital proved to be a vital addition to the health care facilities of the area. Three months after it was opened, a yellow fever epidemic struck the city. One victim of the disease was the hospital Superior, Mother M. Blandine. Following the epidemic an orphanage and school were established here by the Sisters for children whose parents died of the sickness. The school was closed and the orphanage was later moved to another site in Galveston.

St. Mary's played a significant role in the aftermath of two area disasters. In 1900, despite heavy damage caused by a hurricane, the hospital remained open for the treatment of storm victims. In 1947 health care was provided here for many of the thousands injured in a series of chemical explosions and fires at the port of Texas City (8 mi. NW).
Erected 1980 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 7173.)
St. Mary's Hospital Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans, November 24, 2011
2. St. Mary's Hospital Marker
29° 18.556′ N, 94° 46.574′ W. Marker is in Galveston, Texas, in Galveston County. Marker is at the intersection of 8th Street and Avenue E, on the right when traveling north on 8th Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 404 8th St, Galveston TX 77550, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Galveston Medical College (approx. 0.2 miles away); "Old Red" (approx. 0.2 miles away); General Sidney Sherman (approx. 0.3 miles away); Frederich-Erhard House (approx. half a mile away); George Fox House (approx. half a mile away); Near Campsites of Louis-Michel Aury and Francisco Xavier Mina (approx. half a mile away); Victor Gustafson Home (approx. half a mile away); The Rt. Rev. Monsignor Marius Etienne Chataignon (approx. half a mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Galveston.
Also see . . .  St. Mary's Hospital. Texas State Historical Association (Submitted on November 30, 2011, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.) 
Categories. DisastersScience & Medicine
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 394 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement