Temple of Folly
Unfortunately, within a few months, the local mines faltered and on November 14, 1880, a devastating fire destroyed half the town forcing Murphy to relocate to Bishop, where he opened a new Temple of Folly.
Although its existence was brief, Mammoth’s Temple of Folly typified the pioneer spirit of those first residents on the eastern Sierras and will forever be associated with the first days of Mammoth Lakes.
Erected 2008 by E Clampus Vitus, Bodie Chapter No. 64.
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
Location. 37° 38.111′ N, 118° 57.785′ W. Marker is in Mammoth Lakes, California
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Margaret & Emmett Hayden Cabin (a few steps from this marker); Old French Trail (approx. 0.2 miles away); Historic Knight Wheel (approx. 0.7 miles away); The Tavern (approx. 0.8 miles away); Old Mammoth Saloon (approx. 0.8 miles away); Mammoth City (approx. 2.3 miles away); Casa Diablo (approx. 2.7 miles away); The Mammoth Consolidated Gold Mine (approx. 3.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Mammoth Lakes.
Additional keywords. saloon
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 617 times since then and 91 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.