Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Virginia City in Storey County, Nevada — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

St. Mary Louise Hospital

55 North R Street, Virginia City, NV

 

—Comstock Historical Marker No. 7 —

 
St. Mary Louise Hospital Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, October 25, 2011
1. St. Mary Louise Hospital Marker
Inscription. The grounds were formally known as Van Bokkelen’s Beer Garden. General Jacob Van Bokkelen was commander of the Virginia City National guard, was killed in a dynamite explosion in his hardware store on Taylor St,. west of C Street in March 1873 that took his life and that of several others. This five acre site was later purchased by Mrs. John (Mary Louise) Mackay, wife of Bonanza King John Mackay. Mrs. Mackay then donated the land to Father (later Bishop) Patrick Manogue of the Catholic Church for the building of the hospital. Construction took place in 1875 at a cost of about $45,000. The four story 14,000 sq. ft. brick building contained 36 rooms with five wards and 12 private rooms. Up to 70 patients could be accommodated. It was partially funded by miners and milling men, who paid $1.00 per month to support it.

The hospital opened and received its first patients on March 6, 1876. The daily operations of the facility were presided over by Catholic Nuns known as: “Daughters of Charity.” The hospital was in operation for 21 years, but with Virginia City’s dwindling population, it closed in September 1897, when the last two “Daughter of Charity” left the Comstock. It later served as Storey County’s Hospital until the 1940’s when a fire on the top floor it to close. In 1964, after much renovation the old
St. Mary Louise Hospital Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, October 25, 2011
2. St. Mary Louise Hospital Marker
The former St. Mary Louise Hospital is in the distance.
Hospital once again opened its doors, but to a different clientele, when it became St. Mary’s Art Center.
 
Erected 2009 by Marshall Earth Resources, Hugh Roy Marshall, Virginia City, Nevada. (Marker Number 7.)
 
Location. 39° 18.643′ N, 119° 38.875′ W. Marker is in Virginia City, Nevada, in Storey County. Marker is on E Street. Click for map. This marker is in or near the Silverland Inn and Suites parking lot on E Street, between Union and Sutton Streets. Marker is in this post office area: Virginia City NV 89440, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Chinatown (a few steps from this marker); Ships of the Nevada Desert (within shouting distance of this marker); Virginia and Truckee Railroad (within shouting distance of this marker); C & C Mining Works (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Red Light District (about 300 feet away); The Big Bonanza (about 400 feet away); The Union Brewery (about 400 feet away); African Americans And The Boston Saloon (about 400 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Virginia City.
 
Also see . . .  History of the Building. The Art Center gives a short history of the building along with vintage photos. (Submitted on December 7, 2011.)
Detail from the St. Mary Louise Hospital Marker image. Click for full size.
3. Detail from the St. Mary Louise Hospital Marker
St. Mary’s Hospital & Storey County Hospital
 
 
Categories. Charity & Public WorkScience & Medicine
 
St. Mary Louise Hospital, today the St, Mary's Art Center image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, July 22, 2011
4. St. Mary Louise Hospital, today the St, Mary's Art Center
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 619 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement