“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Titusville in Brevard County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)

The Addison/Ellis Canal

The Addison/Ellis Canal Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jamie Cox, December 2, 2011
1. The Addison/Ellis Canal Marker
Inscription. In 1911, Edgar W. Ellis and J. H. Beckwith put together a consortium of developers known as the Titusville Fruit and Farm Lands Company. They acquired 22,500 acres in the western portion of the old Delespine Grant with plans to drain marshland in the St. Johns River valley, to make the land usable for agricultural purposes. By 1913, 43 miles of lateral canals had been dug and work began on the Addison/Ellis Canal, which led from Addison Creek to the outlying vegetable fields. The canal was intended to relieve flooding in the St. Johns River by diverting floodwaters to the lagoon and to transport supplies and crops from the St. Johns River to the Indian River Lagoon, ending at Addison Point. The company used the coquina rock extracted from the canal to pave roads to their fields. The marshland and sand ridges proved no problem for the equipment used, but a coquina rock ridge that runs north-south proved insurmountable, and the canal was never completed. The consortium went broke and the project was abandoned. The canal never reached a useful depth, and construction ended just east of the scrub/coquina ridge in Addison Creek.
Erected 2007 by The Brevard County Historical Commission, The Brevard County Tourist Development Council and the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-602.)
The Addison/Ellis Canal image. Click for full size.
By Jamie Cox, December 2, 2011
2. The Addison/Ellis Canal
The canal is about 30 feet deep, but has very little water in it. It has been abandoned for almost 100 years as of 2011, and is now heavily forested.

Location. 28° 32.042′ N, 80° 48.185′ W. Marker is in Titusville, Florida, in Brevard County. Marker can be reached from Enchanted Forest Road. Click for map. The Enchanted Forest is a Brevard County park with hiking trails. Drive to the end of Enchanted Forest Road, and hike to the marker. The marker is located about 200 feet behind the building on one of the trails to the Northwest. Marker is at or near this postal address: 444 Columbia Boulevard, Titusville FL 32780, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Windover Archaeological Site (approx. 2.8 miles away); Titusville Negro School (approx. 5.1 miles away); The Pritchard House (approx. 5.3 miles away); SATAN Tracking Antenna (approx. 7.4 miles away); Oliver's Camp (approx. 7.8 miles away); Hernandez Trail (approx. 13 miles away); St. Mark’s Episcopal Church (approx. 13.4 miles away); Ulumay (approx. 13.5 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Titusville.
Additional keywords. failure
Categories. Industry & CommerceWaterways & Vessels
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Jamie Cox of Melbourne, Florida. This page has been viewed 721 times since then and 106 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Jamie Cox of Melbourne, Florida. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement