Pearland in Brazoria County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Old Settler's Cemetery
(0.2 miles west)
A community graveyard was begun with the burial of pioneer Echolean C. Ackerly, who died August 11, 1894. Four years later her burial plot and the surrounding land was officially dedicated as a cemetery. Six Civil War veterans are interred in the graveyard. The cemetery contains many types of burials. The early practice of scraping the earth over graves was followed by cement paving, gravel cover, and bricking. Styles of gravestones range from simple stone markers to tombstones featuring elaborately carved decorations.
Old Settler's Cemetery remained the primary community burial ground until 1936. It continues to serve as a reminder of Pearland's early history.
Erected 1988 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9593.)
Location. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Pearland TX 77581, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Home and First Family (approx. 5.8 miles away); Fig Preserving Plant (approx. 6.1 miles away); Cecil and Frances Brown House (approx. 6.1 miles away); First Business (approx. 6.1 miles away); Site of Lubbock Ranch (approx. 6.2 miles away); Friendswood Postal Service (approx. 6.2 miles away); Oldest Structure Remaining (approx. 6.2 miles away); Quaker Academy (approx. 6.2 miles away).
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 623 times since then and 81 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.