“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Columbia in Marion County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)

First Baptist Church

First Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jeff Lovorn, November 19, 2011
1. First Baptist Church Marker
Inscription. In 1883, Pastor T. S. Howell from Bunker Hill Church in rural Marion County, and six local believers met at the courthouse to organize a Baptist church within the city limits of Columbia. Early meetings were held in the courthouse, the Masonic Hall, and the Methodist Church. It was not until 1890 that the first sanctuary was erected on Dale Street near the city cemetery. The First Baptist Church moved to this location on High School Avenue in 1912. The Congregation hosted the Mississippi Baptist Convention in 1913.
Erected 2008 by Mississippi Department of Archive and History.
Location. 31° 15.275′ N, 89° 49.961′ W. Marker is in Columbia, Mississippi, in Marion County. Marker is on Dale Street, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Columbia MS 39429, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within walking distance of this marker. Temporary State Capital (approx. 0.3 miles away).
Categories. Churches, Etc.
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Jeff Lovorn of Florence, Mississippi. This page has been viewed 277 times since then and 55 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on , by Jeff Lovorn of Florence, Mississippi. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A photograph of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement