“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Baytown in Harris County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)

Wooster School

Wooster School Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans, April 2, 2009
1. Wooster School Marker
Inscription. Constructed in 1895-96 by Quincy Adams Wooster and Junius Brown, this building originally served as a schoolhouse and community gathering place for the Wooster community. It became a part of the Goose Creek School System in 1919. The structure was moved from its original site in 1937 to an adjacent lot on the same property and used as a classroom, cafeteria, and music room. It was closed as an educational facility for a final time in 1980. The building was acquired in 1986 by the Bay Area Heritage Society and moved here for use as a museum.
Erected 1990 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 10806.)
Location. 29° 46.935′ N, 94° 57.894′ W. Marker is in Baytown, Texas, in Harris County. Marker can be reached from North Main Street 0.3 miles north of West Cedar Bayou Lynchburg Road, on the left when traveling north. Click for map. Located in a small historical park, Republic of Texas Plaza. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5117 N Main St, Baytown TX 77521, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Dr. Ashbel Smith (within shouting distance of this marker); Humble Oil & Refining Company (approx. 2.7 miles away);
Wooster School Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans, April 2, 2009
2. Wooster School Marker
Goose Creek Stream (approx. 3.3 miles away); K'Nesseth Israel Synagogue (approx. 3.4 miles away); Homesite of William Scott (approx. 4.7 miles away); Bayland Orphanage (approx. 5.1 miles away); The Bayland Guards (approx. 5.1 miles away); Confederate Naval Works at Goose Creek (approx. 5.1 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Baytown.
Also see . . .  Baytown Historical Preservation Association. The Association's historic buildings are open to the public, free of charge, on the last Saturday of each month (except holiday weekends and in inclement weather) from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. (Submitted on December 6, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.) 
Categories. Education
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 342 times since then and 59 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement