“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
League City in Galveston County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)

St. Mary Mission Church

St. Mary Mission Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans, December 3, 2011
1. St. Mary Mission Church Marker
Inscription. Beginning in the late 19th century, League City's Catholic residents gathered in homes for Mass and other services. As the population grew, so did the need for a church. J.C. League deeded land to the Diocese of Galveston, and parishioners of St. Mary Mission Church built a frame sanctuary that served them for many years after its dedication in December 1910. The Diocese appointed the Rev. Jerome A. Rapp (1881-1952), who conducted Mass for the Catholic residents before 1910, as the mission church's first pastor. He served both this church and other mainland missions.

St. Mary Mission Church served as a social center of the community from early in its history. During the Great Depression, the church began the Mainland Catholic Picnic as a means of reducing debt. It quickly became a popular community-wide activity, lasting for many years.

As the decades passed, the League City congregation continued to grow, especially as the nearby Johnson Space Center rapidly expanded during the latter twentieth century. The church moved into a new and larger building, dedicating it in 1966. Meanwhile, the old mission was used only occasionally for church functions, although several organizations, including the Knights of Columbus, often met there.

In the late twentieth century, parishioners organized to relocate and restore
St. Mary Mission Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans, December 8, 2011
2. St. Mary Mission Church Marker
the former mission church building. Today, the Gothic Revival structure is the only extant example of the original mainland missions.
Erected 2006 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13671.)
Location. 29° 30.681′ N, 95° 5.411′ W. Marker is in League City, Texas, in Galveston County. Marker is at the intersection of East Main Street and Colorado Avenue, on the right when traveling west on East Main Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 620 E Main St, League City TX 77573, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mainland Mission Churches (here, next to this marker); First Baptist Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); T.J. and Mary Lelia Dick House (about 500 feet away); League Park (about 500 feet away); Fairview Cemetery (approx. 0.6 miles away); Site of Galveston County Poor Farm (approx. 0.7 miles away); Seito and Kiyoaki Saibara (approx. 2.5 miles away); Faith United Methodist Church (approx. 2.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in League City.
Also see . . .  St. Mary Mission Church Website. (Submitted on December 6, 2011, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
Categories. Churches, Etc.
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 260 times since then and 60 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on , by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.   2. submitted on , by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement