“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
League City in Galveston County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)

Mainland Mission Churches

Mainland Mission Churches Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans, December 3, 2011
1. Mainland Mission Churches Marker
Inscription. In 1869, the Diocese of Galveston perceived the need for a church on the mainland to serve Roman Catholics. The following year St. Mary began in Hitchcock, and a mission church also established in 1870, named St. Mary of the Immaculate Conception, began serving Alta Loma. These two churches were later renamed, respectively, Our Lady of Lourdes and St. Elizabeth's. In 1948, the two churches were moved together to one location that served both towns.

As the area population grew, the Diocese continued to construct mission churches. Father Jerome A. Rapp, the first priest assigned to Hitchcock and Alta Loma, was also instrumental in building mission churches in Dickinson (St. Joseph) and League City (St. Mary). The Diocese also built a mission church (St. Mary) in Texas City.

The churches became vital institutions within their communities. Many events that began as fundraising endeavors became community traditions, including bazaars, pageants and picnics. The churches also provided education to the area, opening parochial schools in 1946 and 1963. Additionally, a variety of clubs and groups organized within these churches.

As population in the coastal area grew throughout the 20th century, the churches built new larger buildings and moved out of the original mission churches. Today, St. Mary of League City is the only mission church building left standing. It remains a testimony to the impact the mainland mission churches had on the lives of Catholic residents in Galveston County.
Erected 2006 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13672.)
Location. 29° 30.681′ N, 95° 5.411′ W. Marker is in League City, Texas, in Galveston County. Marker is at the intersection of East Main Street and Colorado Avenue, on the right when traveling west on East Main Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 620 E Main St, League City TX 77573, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. Mary Mission Church (here, next to this marker); First Baptist Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); T.J. and Mary Lelia Dick House (about 500 feet away); League Park (about 500 feet away); Fairview Cemetery (approx. 0.6 miles away); Site of Galveston County Poor Farm (approx. 0.7 miles away); Seito and Kiyoaki Saibara (approx. 2.5 miles away); Faith United Methodist Church (approx. 2.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in League City.
Categories. Churches, Etc.
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 351 times since then and 50 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on , by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide shot of marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement