Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Charleston in Charleston County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Parker Drayton House

circa 1800

 
 
Parker Drayton House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, November 10, 2011
1. Parker Drayton House Marker
Charles Manigault has been described as a "gentleman capitalist" and "cosmopolitan." He spoke French and prided himself on his wealth and social status.
Inscription. Isacc Parker built the original house about 1800 when the waterside of the Ashley River lay along the garden. Colonel William Drayton greatly enlarged the house after 1816, and decorated in the Adam style from 1837 to 1899. Home of the notable family of Charles Manigualt.
 
Erected by The Preservation Society of Charleston.
 
Location. 32° 46.317′ N, 79° 56.097′ W. Marker is in Charleston, South Carolina, in Charleston County. Marker is on Gibbes Street, on the left when traveling east. Click for map. Located between Lenwood Blvd and Legare Street. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6 Gibbes Street, Charleston SC 29401, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. John Fullerton House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); 8 Legare Street (about 400 feet away); Toomer- Purse House (about 400 feet away); Simmons-Edwards House (about 400 feet away); William Gibbes House (about 400 feet away); Harth-Middleton House (about 500 feet away); The Reverend Paul Trapier Gervais House (about 500 feet away); The John Blake House (about 600 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Charleston.
 
Regarding Parker Drayton House. 6 Gibbes St. c.1806
--
Parker Drayton House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, October 6, 2011
2. Parker Drayton House Marker
The Parker-Drayton House was built c.1806 by lsaac Parker, a planter in St. Thomas and St. Denis Parish, and a brickyard owner. lt was remodeled in the Regency style by Col. William Drayton, with money won in the East Bay Lottery, in 1820. Col. Drayton, an officer in the War of 1812, an attorney and a unionist congressman, moved to Philadelphia after the Nullification controversy. He sold the property in 1837 to Nathaniel Heyward, of Combahee, the owner of 17 plantations. Heyward gave the house to his daughter and son-in-law, Elizabeth and Charles Manigault. Charles, who had traveled to China and lived in France, was a noted collector of art and of scientific objects. Their son, Dr. Gabriel Edward Manigault, was a physician and osteologist (one who studies bone structure of vertebrates), an educator, amateur architect, and curator of the Charleston Museum. He laid the parquet floor in the drawing rooms. (Stoney, DYKYC, March 28, 1948; Stoney, News & Courier, March 29, 1964; Stoney, This is Charleston, p.54. )
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
Parker Drayton House image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, October 6, 2011
3. Parker Drayton House
Parker Drayton House Marker image. Click for full size.
Charleston County Public Library
4. Parker Drayton House Marker
Parker Drayton House image. Click for full size.
Historic American Buildings Survey, Charles Bayless, circa 1977
5. Parker Drayton House
Historic American Engineering Record: HABS SC,10-CHAR,107, 70-2
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 435 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement