Texas City in Galveston County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of Austinia
In 1837 George L. Hammeken and partners petitioned the Republic of Texas for a charter to construct a railroad from Austinia, where the main office was to be located, southwest to Bolivar on the Brazos. The railroad was part of a venture connecting Galveston with the mainland to tap the trade of the fertile Brazos River valley. In 1839 Emily Perry sold Austinia to her son, William J. Bryan, and his partner, George Hammeken. Later that year Emily's husband, James F. Perry, became treasurer of Hammeken's corporation.
James Perry's plans to build 40 or 50 houses and other public buildings in Austinia were never realized as Hammeken later chose an alternate route for the proposed railroad.
Erected 1993 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9928.)
Location. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Texas City TX 77590, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. William Jefferson Jones (here, next to this marker); Shoal Point and Half Moon Shoal Lighthouse (here, next to this marker); Old Bay Lake Ranch (here, next to this marker); Wedell's Corner (here, next to this marker); F-100F North American Super Sabre (a few steps from this marker); Anchor from Freighter Grand Camp (approx. 0.4 miles away); Texas City Dike (approx. 0.4 miles away); First Aero Squadron (approx. 0.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Texas City.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 282 times since then and 52 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on , by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. 2, 3. submitted on , by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.